Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cosleeping and Breastfeeding

Lightbulb Cosleeping and Breastfeeding

I have been suffering from supply issues since my cycle came back, and I thought I was going to have to quit. This problem stemmed from my DS being a very good sleeper, and I didn't realize I needed to pump in the middle of the night. I was very stressed because I really didn't want to give it up (not good for my supply I know! lol). I love the closeness I have with my son. I tried everything!! Calcium supplements, mothers milk tea, and nursing more often. My DS was so use to an over supply that he refused to nurse past my first letdown and started to get fussy. Long story short, I remembered my lactation consultant saying that cosleeping helps to establish a good supply. It was worth a shot, and what do you know it helped tremendously!! My little stinker woke up every two hours to eat when he was snuggled with me, but in the crib he just wont wake up. My supply is on its way back up and things are so much better after just three days!! I was wondering if anyone had the same results? I will be investing in a cosleeper that attaches to our bed if we have another.

Default Re: Cosleeping and Breastfeeding

yep, pretty common story! congratluations! many of us on here cosleep with our babies because both research and our experiences show that it facilitates both sleep and breastfeeding.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Also, often supply issue with cycles are just that. Related to you cycle. So you see a 5 day dip and then it comes back.

Way too lazy for formula

Awesome! I'm glad you were willing to give it a shot. I (most nights) love sleeping with my little man and have since day one. I've got to ask though, are you fully informed on safe bed sharing practices? We had to adjust our bed quite a bit to make it safe.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I figured this was more than a cycle thing, because my supply kept slowly dropping every month and just did not bounce back the same. I am pretty sure it had to do with the nursing strikes we go through every month (hormones make my milk taste funny, and its a slow flow). Little stinker just does not like to nurse as well. I went from over abundant supply with overactive let downs to just enough milk. This has saved us because he is a more compliant nurser when he is sleepy. lol Thanks for the info! I was actually worried about the logistics of sleeping with a baby. I have done it a couple of times on accident when I fell asleep during a night time feeding, but this is the first time my hubby has slept with us too. Do yall place the baby in between the two of you? Do you worry that hubby wont have the same instincts we have has mothers? The final question is about coverings. Do you place the baby on top of the comforter or just not use one at all? So far I have just been using a sheet.

The general rule is baby should be between mother and a wall or bed rail. But I did sleep with ds in the middle because he never moved from my side and I kept my arms around him. With our king sized bed that meant dh never came within two feet of us. Big fluffy comforters are also a no-no. If you' re ok with a sheet, that's perfect. Otherwise a quilt or fleece blanket work as well. I wrapped the blanket around my shoulder, then kind of tucked it under my hips so it stayed in place. another thing is baby shouldn't need to be dressed as warmly when sleeping with you. Ds always sleeps in a t-shirt/onesie or just a diaper and polyester is a huge no for him. He wakes up every twenty minutes otherwise.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katie.lively View Post
    I will be investing in a cosleeper that attaches to our bed if we have another.
    You can also side-car the crib that you already own, if you don't want to buy more sleeping apparatus

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mercystreet View Post
    You can also side-car the crib that you already own, if you don't want to buy more sleeping apparatus
    This I think is the best if you have the space. We don't so got a mini co-sleeper. Now that he is older (7 months) and wiggles and rolls while sleeping its not enough space for him to be comfy.