Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can babies have water?

Default When can babies have water?

When can babies start having a little bit of water? Ellie loves playing with a sippy cup. She doesn't really drink much-maybe 2-3 small sips over the course of 20-30 minutes. I have been hand expressing breast milk after I feed her when I get home from workand I give her the cup to play with in a high chair while we are eating dinner. There is so little in there it is hard for her to get any out. Id like to either give her water or water down the breastmilk. It is between a1/2oz- 1 oz of bm that I am hand expressing. I think if i add about 1- 2 oz of water it will make it easier for her to drink.
    Is this okay to do?
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: When can babies have water?

I am not sure the answer to this, but I give my DD born 2/12/13 a little water, because she is teething and sucks on ice cubes in the mesh net thing. and I also give her a sippy cup to play with and she gets a bit of water in it to play with. she also will try to steal sips from my cup of water, and laps a bit up. My Ped says that is great, but he is also pro give baby baby food and water at 4 months. which is not the AAP recomendation. and I am not so sure on that suggestion. I have just been following my baby's lead on what she wants to explore and taste.

I was just reading the information on Kelly Mom on giving water to a breastfed baby because I got a sippy cup for my almost 7 month old to start playing with.

That says you can start giving them a little water at 4-6 months old when learning to use a cup.

We started giving ds sips of water at 6 mo simply because he grabbed my mom's glass and helped himself. He liked to stock his hand in and play with ice too. I'd give him 2-3 oz at a time in his sippy cup just so it was easier for him to get out but he never drank more than .5 oz over the course of a day. I don't see any reason why you couldn't water down her milk but I wouldn't expect her to drink it all.

We gave waters when playing with solids only before the year point. We wanted him to associate it with mealtime. I taught him how to drink out of a straw when he was 8months old. I didn't give him a sippy until after the year point.

Way too lazy for formula