Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby and bottle...

Default Baby and bottle...

Not sure which thread is the right one for this, but I am about to return to work shortly and I have decided to start giving a bottle to my baby girl once a day to transition her once were away from one another. I HATE that I have to go back to work, but she will be spending the day with the MIL so I know she is in good hands. However, I'm terrified about the bottle because when I nurse her, she is so peaceful and calm. Whether she falls asleep after her feeding or is awake and playful, she is calm and happy. The last couple of times we gave the bottle (playtex drop-ins...slow flow nipple) she chugged it in a matter of minutes..tried to break it up and burp her to slow the feeding down but she got extremely mad and fussy! Anyway, once she finishes the bottle she will have a moment of freaking out...followed by a few minutes of sad whimpering while I pat her back and burp her. In about 10 minutes she's fine again. It's like she doesn't realize she's full yet or just hates the bottle! I feel awful and I want her to be peaceful and content! I know MIL will be pulling out her hair....this is extremely stressful for me. Can anyone offer me some advice? Will she get used to it or adjust better over time?

Default Re: Baby and bottle...

Aw, that sounds stressful for both of you.

Bumping this because I'm sure there are other moms here who have been through something similar and who could offer suggestions...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Have you had your MIL or Dh give your LO the bottle instead of you? My LO associates me with nursing and if I am there she does not want a bottle-she wants me and to nurse. Maybe see if someone else gives her the bottle she will not be as upset when she finishes it? I know it is a little different than not wanting to take the bottle at all if you are around but I think the same principle could apply.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

I'll bet she gets used to it over time. It took ds a few weeks and switching to the bottles you're using to figure it out. Have you tried a pacifier after the bottle to satisfy sucking needs? I agree she probably doesn't realize she's full yet and still needs to suck. Are you holding her upright while feeding or laying flat? It'll be easier for her to control the pace if she's upright. You're doing the best you can for her, don't feel so bad. Here are a couple links that might have better advice:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    http://theleakyboob.com/2012/03/bott...astfed-babies/

I'm relieved to hear back on this...especially that she should get used to it. Originally I gave her a few bottles, but after my initial experiences my Mom and DH took over. You're so right when you mentioned she "knows" when I'm around and prefers the breast! It's getting better, I'll say. She just needs to walk around and be patted on the back then gave the pacifier and she's good. I'm so glad she's adjusting already...it was driving me crazy. They have been holding her upright during the feedings as well. I was concerned she would be confused because I am combo nursing/bottle feeding experimentally before work but she's doing great! Glad I had a resource to vent/seek help from!

Thanks!

That's awesome to hear things are going well!

Hi Bebelivsmom, sounds like you guys are on the right track already -- but I'll just add on that even though all bottles say they have "slow flow nipples" the truth is that some are slower than others. We had to experiment with a ton of bottle brands to find one that my son would accept. I would fill them with water hold them upside down over the sink to test the flow, and some would practically STREAM out (no wonder he would choke and sputter!), while others would only veeeerrrry slowly drip. Yet they all said "Stage 1" -- it was maddening. I have no experience with the Playtex brand - but you might want to try a few others for comparison and see if it makes a difference in how fast baby chugs it down and how happy she is after feeding. A bottle that flows slower will be easier for baby to control, be more similar(ish) to the flow from the breast, and give baby more time to feel her satiety kick in - thus less likely to result in overeating. Also, some brands say they have venting systems to minimize air swallowing, which is supposed to help with gassiness (we ended up with one of those and it seemed to help). I do agree with the PPs that bottles should be reserved for other caregivers, so that baby continues to associate you with nursing, which will support your continued nursing relationship. Good luck!

My LO did this a lot, too -- it seemed to us like having the milk in a bottle was like a "treat" for her and she was mad when it was all gone! Like you said, she didn't feel full yet. We usually gave her her pacifier, then after 10-15 minutes if she still seemed really upset, I'd let the nanny or DH give her a little more milk (only about an ounce). Sometimes they are just a little more hungry. I agree that the slowest flow nipple you can get help, but my LO was a master at sucking down her bottle either way.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

If you are looking for a different nipple- Medela makes one (its expensive) that the baby has to suck on pretty hard to get milk out. We used it when we were supplementing because Ellie would turn her head when she didnt want anymore similar to what she would do while nursing. i do not remember the name of it but it is usually in an endcap display at babies r us by the pumps and bottles.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Adding to what elliemommy said, the nipple by Medela is called Calma. It is expensive, but so far I like it very much.