Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chemicals in lotion affect nursing toddler?

Default Chemicals in lotion affect nursing toddler?

I'm going to call the pediatrician tomorrow, but I'd love any thoughts someone on here might have.

Because of skin issues of my own, I've only used water, coconut oil, and vegetable oil soap (only ingredients are saponified vegetable oils) on my skin and hair for almost a year -- no chemicals whatsoever.

Yesterday, I treated myself and had a reflexology session. They used a liberal amount of fragrance-free lotion on my shins, feet and hands. They showed me the ingredients ahead of time, and it did contain the usual unpronounceable ingredients (sodium benzoate, di-whatsit-whatsit, etc.) but no fragrance and I figured just this once it would be okay. So, I went ahead and let them use it.

When I got home from my appointment, my 27-month-old was fine, completely her usual self. I nursed her before her nap, and she woke up with a fever. No other symptoms, just a fever.

It seems a bit far-fetched, but since this child has had nothing more than a cold her entire life, I can't help wondering whether it's to much of a coincidence and the two aren't related. I know nursing moms use lotions all the time, but the fact that I haven't used any chemicals on my skin for almost a year seems to suggest that perhaps her system isn't used to them.

Any thoughts? Advice? Could the two be related?

Thank you!
    Mom to 4/19/2011, 5/14/2009, and 12/14/2002

Default Re: Chemicals in lotion affect nursing toddler?

I know it's tempting to draw one-to-one correlations when you're dealing with a sick kid... But in this case I think the most conservative explanation for the fever is that your LO has picked up some sort of bug. My LO was just sick with a similar thing- no symptoms except fever, at first, though she did get a wee bit of a runny nose on day 2.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I needed to hear that. The coincidence is so uncanny, though.

Maybe you picked up a bug and carried it home.
    You have your routine down with chemical free personal care products, but if you are looking for other HH products check out Honest.com. We use their diapers, wipes, sun screen, baby soap, bug spray, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, dish and dishwasher soap just to name a few.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I thought you were going to say your child refused to nurse. Mom smelling 'weird' can do that. But cause a fever? I suspect coinsidence. If it IS a reaction, what are you thinking..allergy?

Thank you, Debbers. We actually use Honest's dishwasher soap and sun screen.

And, thank you, Lllmeg. I'm not sure what I'm thinking. I guess I've always viewed a fever as a sign of the body trying to deal with something, usually germs. But since there are no other symptoms of illness (so far at least), I was thinking perhaps her system isn't used to having to deal with the chemicals my skin absorbed, so the fever's her system's way of trying to deal with them.

She seems better today, which is a relief. I'm sure you're all right that it's a coincidence. I think I'll stay away from the lotion, though, just to be safe.

Thank you to everyone!

Maybe it WAS a little reaction and the fever was a sign of her body dealing with it. I guess you can bring your own lotion next time!

Thank you! I'm not sure how they'll feel about working with coconut oil, but we'll see...