Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old stomach troubles

Default 2 week old stomach troubles

Hi, I was wondering if you could give me advice or experience. My son is two weeks old. He has been a great nurser so far, and my supply seems good. He has gained weight just fine so far, as well, and his diaper output is normal. He usually empties or almost empties one breast at a feeding, but it takes a while, and afterwards he falls asleep or stays awake and seems content.

The last few days he has started to have a really hard time whenever he passes gas or has a bowel movement. At first it was infrequent, but all day today he eats and then usually waits for a minute or two before starting to strain and cry out like he is in pain. He fidgets and moves. From research it seems normal that babies his age often struggle with this, but at what point should I talk to the doctor look into reflux, or, try a dairy elimination? He rarely spits up (only twice in his short life so far), and it doesn't seem to be oversupply or OAL. The reason am concerned is that it is making it so hard for him to sleep and he seems to. Be in so much pain. If he falls asleep nursing he wakes up in pain and squirming. If he does not fall asleep he just stops eating and seems to be in pain. We have tried massAging his tummy, some different holds, and bicycling his legs. But it seems like though those things help, he ultimately struggles a lot and has to just work through the discomfort. Is this just a normal thing or should I be concerned? And if it is normal, is there anything else I can do to help. I am starting to dread feeding him because I feel like my milk causes him pain.

Thanks for any help you can give. I have learned a lot on this forum!

Default Re: 2 week old stomach troubles

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monbebe View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if you could give me advice or experience. My son is two weeks old. He has been a great nurser so far, and my supply seems good. He has gained weight just fine so far, as well, and his diaper output is normal. He usually empties or almost empties one breast at a feeding, but it takes a while, and afterwards he falls asleep or stays awake and seems content.

The last few days he has started to have a really hard time whenever he passes gas or has a bowel movement. At first it was infrequent, but all day today he eats and then usually waits for a minute or two before starting to strain and cry out like he is in pain. He fidgets and moves. From research it seems normal that babies his age often struggle with this, but at what point should I talk to the doctor look into reflux, or, try a dairy elimination? He rarely spits up (only twice in his short life so far), and it doesn't seem to be oversupply or OAL. The reason am concerned is that it is making it so hard for him to sleep and he seems to. Be in so much pain. If he falls asleep nursing he wakes up in pain and squirming. If he does not fall asleep he just stops eating and seems to be in pain. We have tried massAging his tummy, some different holds, and bicycling his legs. But it seems like though those things help, he ultimately struggles a lot and has to just work through the discomfort. Is this just a normal thing or should I be concerned? And if it is normal, is there anything else I can do to help. I am starting to dread feeding him because I feel like my milk causes him pain.

Thanks for any help you can give. I have learned a lot on this forum!
    We went thru this for first 3 months with so much crying. (Breastfed baby only, I was already non dairy for 16 years). Gripe water and gas drops did not help. Our Ped of course said reflux but a stupid Mylanta test proved nothing and didn't help. I tried eliminations in my diet: onions, curry powder, cruciferous veggies. Went FODMAP for a bit. did not seem to matter. The only thing that seemed to help was getting in a warm bath with her. Watch out! sometimes it is so soothing they poopsplode in the tub. but at least they feel better. Otherwise I just waited it out. It stopped almost exactly at 3 mos.I think her gut just finally matured. Never had an issue since.

Of course you should talk to your doc. Just letting you know what we went thru. Good luck!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: 2 week old stomach troubles

I was also going to suggest the warm bath. It had near-100% effectiveness for my kids, when it came to producing poopsplosions.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"