Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Low iron what to do

Default Re: Low iron what to do

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Today is a GREAT day. Baby girl is 14 mos this week and after low iron at 9 and 12 mos we did the iron re-test. Our new pediatrician is AWESOME (supportive of co-sleeping, supportive of nursing, nursing all night while tiring is great for bonding and good health, very opposed to polyvisol (recod by our previous ped), vaccines are a personal choice, etc.) AND my daughter's iron levels were back up to normal.

For those who have been following, here's how we did it: took a week to do a little homework followed by 7 weeks of a little grass fed beef nearly every day eaten with a food containing Vitamin C like sweet potatoes, beets (for optimal absorption) AND an all natural iron supplement called Floravital from Floradix, 5 ML almost every day. It did not cause ANY constipation.

I wish I could make sure all parents with a low iron breastfed baby could see this - even though our situation and solution may not apply to everyone, it might give hope that it's okay to take control of your baby's health by asking questions, challenging questionable advice and finding a better fit if your doctor isn't doing it for you.
    Thank you and that is so awesome her iron is better! Even more awesome is your pediatrician. How do you go about finding one like that, just ask a lot of questions before committing? I have a bad feeling about our iron check coming up, my 9 month old is 100% self fed for solids, and she pretty much just eats fruit and vegetables, a few bites of meat here and there. I did make a soaked porridge the other day that was so tasty, but baby won't take a spoon yet.

And honestly about the grains, I think it is really only an issue if you have a vegan baby or a vegetarian baby. Even a vegetarian I wouldn't be worried, but vegan is a whole different story. IMO the iron in the meat will counter the iron potentially not absorbed from unsoaked grains. I've eaten grains liberally my whole life and never had an issue until I had been vegan for 2 years. I had some serious vitamin deficiencies, it was awful. I certainly don't have time for a ton of soaking, I just try to do my oats because I know those are the worst. Whole wheat actually has a chemical that helps break down it's own phytic acid, so that isn't so bad. Anyway. yay for you! Sorry to ramble.
    and Mama to two little girls

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    Thank you and that is so awesome her iron is better! Even more awesome is your pediatrician. How do you go about finding one like that, just ask a lot of questions before committing?
    I started out by asking other moms and saying I was looking for a local version of Dr Sears. But that was a dead end. What happened next was pure luck. I was looking up all the Peds in our area and I remembered that a guy who took my Sunday fitness class religiously is a doctor. I never knew what kind of doctor he was but I looked him up with plans to ask him if he could provide a reco. Turns out his practice is 'traditional and natural family medicine'. I jumped for joy. Left him a message, he called back and I was sold. He also, over the phone, gave his agreement on my plan for improving baby girl's iron. No doc would ever do that for a non patient but thankfully we'd know each other for awhile. He only sees adult patients but he hooked me up with the Ped in his practice (who is also a midwife).

My suggestion to others would be 1. Go to an lll meeting and ask people, especially lll leaders who they see 2. See if there's a Natural Parenting Meet Up in your city, get connected to them and ask.

If your 9 month old has low iron you have plenty of time to work on it. I will say that I didn't think about the meat until 12 months and in our case the veggies (like spinach) weren't enough between 9 and 12. I also didn't know about combining with a vit c source.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

awesome news!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So glad I found this post! We just had 12 mo check and DD was slightly low. I was honestly kinda shocked. She eats super healthy! My pediatrician is awesome for the most part. He is ferry supportive of BF told me to keep going as long as we wanted... but he always recomendrs supplements. He told me to get the same ones you were told first. I just said OK..I bought a box but once I did some of research I realized I wanted to the try diet first. I called the next day and doc agreed to that and recheck hemoglobin in a month.
    I took a better look at dd meals I had only really been giving meat a few times a week. So now the game plan is to do more meat and vit c foods. Also going to try smoothies for her first time with some tofu mixed in.
    I'm just glad to see it can be done! And that I'm not the only one that doesn't want to always go to supplements first!
    Thanks!!
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

My daughter is 15 mo, one other food we do is sprouted whole wheat flour pancakes. We also do a lot of beans but soak them for like a day before cooking. Soaking/sprouting definitely makes the iron more available to the body. We do mashed beans and a little cheese for quesadillas, she loves those.
    and Mama to two little girls

Thanks for more food ideas.
    First time momma to one amazing baby girl 2/28/2013
    Natural non medicated hospital birth

We also practice EC

Chia seeds are pretty high in iron. We mix them in smoothies, but you can do lots of things with them -- not sure how many Paleo and 1-year-old friendly, but surely something!