Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low iron what to do

Default Re: Low iron what to do

I just added another post, but I wanted to respond to yours personally. While my daughter's diet has consisted primarily of breast milk, it was probably around 9 months that she showed interest when we offered sips of our smoothies. We're huge Vitamix users and we've offered more and more as the months have gone on. Suffice to say she has had her fair share of leafy greens and fruits and her iron still dropped. So while I am not convinced i need the supplement, i am convinced she needs meat with heme iron.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

That is wonderful that you may have found a doc more in line with your goals. And it sounds like meat is your best bet.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

glad you found the doc. i had a really difficult decision to make when ds was born with hypospadias, which is typically treated with genital surgery which i did NOT want to do (and in fact have some long-running principled stands against). the urologist thought surgery was necessary, the peds we saw were kind of appalled that we weren't planning to do it, it was a whole emotional mess. anyway, we sought out a 2nd opinion from the doc we thought most likely to go with a non-surgical path if it was feasible (the doc the local homebirth/dr sears vax schedule mamas love) and he also recommended that we do the surgery. it was not the answer we wanted but we felt like we'd given it our best shot to get a respected but conservative medical opinion, and so when he recommended surgery we felt like that was probably the right way to go, and we did.

which is to say two things: 1) i thnk getting a 2nd opinion from this doc friend of yours is a good idea, and 2) giving iron drops for a couple months is actually not that big a deal. i hear you on not wanting to support enfamil - that would be a HARD pill for me to swallow too! - but if i were thinking about the benefits vs possible risks, i would probably be inclined to give the drops until she could be retested and found not anemic, meanwhile working on boosting her iron-rich foods.iron is actually important for development, right? anemia has some long-term health risks, right? i don't know much about it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I googled all natural infant iron drops and found this site linking to about a dozen non-enfamil infant iron supplements. I agree with you, there a are ton of nasty additives in the enfamil product so I wouldn't be keen on giving that either. But low iron is a potentially serious issue. I'd research these other brands and get your second doctor's opinion on which is best. http://www.seacoast.com/topic.php?he...ant+iron+drops

If I had my dr sears nutrition book handy, I'd go through the list of top iron rich foods. There's a great graph in it listing the foods and exactly how much iron is in each. I was surprised to find there's quite a few foods with more iron in them than the typical ones recommended for low iron diets. Topping the list was oysters! Maybe you could mask some in a smoothie? I'll try to find the thread from a month or so ago where I listed a bunch more.

Edit: maybe that was one of those posts that I typed a really long reply but then lost it and so said screw it. If you're interested, i'll look it up and post them for you but ds is napping on top of me right now so I can't reach the book
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; July 24th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

I agree on seeking a second opinion, and I would also encourage you to ask both doctors for alternate iron supplements. If you receive a different opinion, then you may be within reason to focus on using foods to bring up the iron count. But, if not, research suggests the benefits outweigh the costs of iron supplementation.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

Ironically, I was in the opposite situation you're in: I was concerned about potential iron deficiency and wanted a name of a supplement just in case because DS chose to basically exclusively breastfeed up to about 11 months, but our paediatrician advised us to use food first. She offered an oral suspension of the supplement "Palafer", which we never ended up using because DS took to meat like a fish to water.

The doc with the traditional/natural practice called me back this morning. It was clear from the first moment to the last that we are a good fit. He agrees that heme based iron from meat was a smart move on my part. She has had plenty of iron rich veggies and clearly they didn't bring her iron up. He recommends the EXACT supplement I chose from 20 choices at Whole Foods. It is called Floradix. He said they recommend it for infants and children without issue and he gave me the dosage he recommends for my daughter. I think what was really special about this conversation is that this guy would have consulted with me for as long as I needed and not been concerned about whether we come to his practice or not. He's a really humble guy, which is probably why I never knew exactly what kind of doc he was even though we've been acquainted for some time.

He spoke with absolute confidence that her iron level will improve with the focus on meat, the complementary vitamin c sources and the Floradix supplement. Now I have to go re-purchase it at whole foods. I returned it after i got cold feet thinking i was taking medicine into my own hands. Funny how often our gut instincts can be validated.

so glad you're happy with your consult! i bet you'll be switching docs now ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    so glad you're happy with your consult! i bet you'll be switching docs now ...
    Huh-yup!

Excellent news! I felt the same way when my son was in Jack Newman's care. Isn't it reassuring to be able to trust your medical provider and not waste energy deflecting antagonistic ideas? Great work, Mama!

Today is a GREAT day. Baby girl is 14 mos this week and after low iron at 9 and 12 mos we did the iron re-test. Our new pediatrician is AWESOME (supportive of co-sleeping, supportive of nursing, nursing all night while tiring is great for bonding and good health, very opposed to polyvisol (recod by our previous ped), vaccines are a personal choice, etc.) AND my daughter's iron levels were back up to normal.

For those who have been following, here's how we did it: took a week to do a little homework followed by 7 weeks of a little grass fed beef nearly every day eaten with a food containing Vitamin C like sweet potatoes, beets (for optimal absorption) AND an all natural iron supplement called Floravital from Floradix, 5 ML almost every day. It did not cause ANY constipation.

I wish I could make sure all parents with a low iron breastfed baby could see this - even though our situation and solution may not apply to everyone, it might give hope that it's okay to take control of your baby's health by asking questions, challenging questionable advice and finding a better fit if your doctor isn't doing it for you.