Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low iron what to do

Default Re: Low iron what to do

Hey everyone thanks for all the replies. I had to log in to realize I had so many. I'm going to tackle this with food. I agree meat is the fastest route to success I just have to have it super soft. She has barely 4 teeth and chokes on food pieces more often than she gums them down. So maybe grass fed ground beef is the way to go because I can buy small quantity by the pound at whole foods. If its grass fed we shouldn't be facing the kind of tummy issues you get with lower quality beef right? I don't like red meat so this is out of my territory for the last 20 years. But I don't mind making it for her.

I've assembled an arsenal of whole fruits and veg with iron. Meat is going to be the quicker path but since I give her fruits and veg I may as well pick based on iron content. I'm bringing back egg yolk too now that she likes it. And I'm wondering about soaked rolled oats, a little blackstrap molasses and a puréed fruit with vit c. I avoid oats, grains etc but if they're soaked they seem ok and I'm just trying to have options, especially easy ones.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

http://www.ironrichfood.org/iron-rich-foods-list/

Fruits and veg really not great levels of iron.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    Hey everyone thanks for all the replies. I had to log in to realize I had so many. I'm going to tackle this with food. I agree meat is the fastest route to success I just have to have it super soft. She has barely 4 teeth and chokes on food pieces more often than she gums them down.
    Do you have a slow cooker? My daughter only has two teeth, but we give her shreds of extremely soft grass-fed beef from stews we make. We cooked until the meat fell completely apart.

one of our son's first foods was meat, on the bone - if we had a steak or slow-cooked meat then we'd eat the majority of the meat off and then give him the large bone to suck & chew on. especially, since we were largely vegetarian, when we went out to eat.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

We do I just dislike beef so much I haven't had it since 1997 so cooking it in quantity isn't practical.

Chia seeds are pretty high in iron. We mix them in smoothies, but you can do lots of things with them -- not sure how many Paleo and 1-year-old friendly, but surely something!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    Chia seeds are pretty high in iron. We mix them in smoothies, but you can do lots of things with them -- not sure how many Paleo and 1-year-old friendly, but surely something!
    2.2 mg iron in an ounce which is the max a full grown adult should eat per day because of high fiber content. Some say babies can't process, that they'll pass right thru but I think I'm more worried about constipating her.

It's me again.

I just got a follow up call from my Pediatrician, a voice mail where while she did encourage me to offer my 1 year old foods with iron, but in that she is ANEMIC stated that I MUST give her poly-visol with iron as well. I am frustrated and don't know what to do. First, I'm, frustrated with myself because I did not act between 9 and 12 months by offering foods high in heme iron (like from meat, which is better absorbed than that in fruit/veg, especially when paired with a Vitamin C source). We weren't really into solids yet, just slowly making our way into fruits and veggies, and I wasn't worried about it as the 9 month test just had her at the low end of normal. Nothing alarming. Since the recent test showed the hemoglobin dropped slightly below the low end of the range for a 12 month old (which is why the doc is now saying ANEMIC) I feel somewhat responsible for not addressing this between 9 and 12 months. But I'm on it now - I bought grass fed ground beef and am giving her some daily mixed with a food that promotes iron absorption (anything with Vitamin C). I want some time to see if this works, but the Ped is WARNING me that if I don't do the vitamin with iron supplement and rely solely on food, that if she retests even lower 6 weeks from now we will be BEHIND and it will take MONTHS to replenish those iron stores.

I took charge of my pregnancy, I took charge of my birth and stuck to my birth plan (VBAC, no epidural, baby on my chest immediately, etc) and I have taking cahrge of my daughter's health from the start. If I don't like something I question it and if I still don't agree I go my own way. I don't like threats and scare tactics, but there is an indisputable fact: that between 9 months and 12 months my daughter's iron dropped. My hart and gut tell me that Enfamil polyvisol is not the answer and food IS. But what if I am wrong? And what other pediatrician is going to validate my view vs this doctor's view when my kid is already low iron?

If you are still looking for advice on foods my iron was low when I was younger and I did not eat red meat at the time. I ate tons of spinach and oranges. I also ate bananas to counteract the laxative effect spinach had on me. Maybe smoothies with spinach orange and bananas? I use the vitamix and they are so easy to make. Just spinach, kale, banana, an orange, water and ice. I use a few more fruits and carrots in mine but for iron you probably dont need them. If the hype is true breaking the spinach down would make the iron absorption easier.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

So I edited my own post, but my log in had timed out and I lost the edit. When I'm facing a challenge I'm very determined to find a solution and let's just say a big light bulb went on this afternoon. It occurred to me that I know a doctor here in town, but had never looked into what type of practice he runs. He's not a close friend, but we have a personal relationship as he had faithfully taken my fitness classes for years before I quit teaching at the end of my pregnancy. I have not gone back to teach, but I ran into him at Whole Foods 2 weeks ago. Fast forward to now - I looked at his website: Traditional and natural family medicine. I feel so overjoyed just seeing the words 'natural medicine' and reading his philosophy on his site. It's like a dream come true. I don't have his mobile number, but I sent him a message through Facebook and left a message with his nurse.