Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low iron what to do

Default Low iron what to do (now resolved!)

DD tested at 9 months, iron was at low end of normal, 10 something
    Re-test at 1 year (this week), even lower than last time, now at 9.7
    Doc wants her on Enfmail Poly-vi-sol the vitamin w/iron - has all kinds of crappy additives.
    Another doc at the practice recommended Fer-in-sol by Enfamil, same crappy additives
    I admit i am so proud to have 12 mos of breastfeeding under my belt (and still going) while working F/T that I don't want an Enfamil product in my kid, even if it's a vitamin

I went to whole foods - the natural infant vitamins there hardly have any iron
    I looked at adult versions - I found one that is all food source with no gluten, sugar or any kind of additive ( http://www.vitacost.com/flora-florad...-free-17-fl-oz ) but the lowest dosage is for age 4 and I'd cut it in 1/4 but there are warnings about toxicity risks for infants (consult your doc yada yada yada) and I feel like I'm taking medicine into my own hands.

Of course my Ped practice will NEVER reco a product that doesn't come from a big packaged goods co. I called InfantRisk - not really their wheelhouse, they were SO nice but could not advise me. They did respond to my question about whether I could take the supplement and up my baby's iron. Unfortunately it won't pass through.

Anyone else been down this road? Doc wants to re-test in 6 weeks. I know little about how low iron would transcend in terms of symptoms in a baby, but when adults are low iron they always seem low energy / lethargic, often feeling under the weather and weak. My kid is fiery, fiesty, full of energy, happy and healthy as they come.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; September 11th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Low iron what to do

I don't have an answer....but what about iron rich foods. Can you really make almost every thing she eats high in iron?

Oh man, I would feel the same way...after avoiding all those Enfamil coupons and then buying the vitamins. What's her diet like for solids? Any way of getting more meat in? That would be the #1 way to up her iron fast, naturally (free range, organic, etc).

I haven't been down this road for a toddler, but I have as an adult. I went for grass fed local CSA meats and that solved my problem. Obviously it's a lot harder to do that for a toddler with few teeth...

My daughter took a high iron vitamin at about 1.5 years, I wonder if one could be ground up if you can find a higher iron kids vitamin for 1 year olds? We have taken this one for a few years (she's 3). http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-...=kids+vitamins This is for kids under 4.

this is 50% daily value in a tablet. Like I said I wonder if you could somehow grind it? We buy this at WFoods.
    and Mama to two little girls

I think the issue with low iron in infants/children is that there's been a link to lower mental development that they're unable to recoup. That's the way my doc explained it. My DD was on the low end of normal at 9 months - my doc suggested giving her raisins. I get organic unsweetened ones and cut them into halves or quarters. Dried figs are also really high in iron, my daughter loves them. Costco has a huge bag of organic ones for $10 or so.

dark chocolate is very high in iron, (unsweetened). Also high in fiber. My friend always gives her daughter a few squares per day, they're vegetarian.

I second trying the meat route for iron. Make sure you provide a vitamin C source with it as that helps with absorption of the iron. Beans and greens, quinoa, eggs and beets are good sources too. We use this vitamin http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Light-...rds=Nutristart if you are still looking for one appropriate for babies with minimal junk in it. It isn't 100% of the recommended daily allowance of iron but it could complement the foods you are serving. I am anemic and my daughter was tested at 9 months in the 10 area but hasn't been retested yet. She goes for her 15 month visit next week so I may ask to test at that point. I am paranoid about her iron since I found out about my anemia so we are doing our best to give her iron rich food (for me too!) and the vitamin when we get a chance. It is a powder so you have to add it to applesauce or milk or yogurt etc. good luck!

Red meat is one of the most bioavailable sources of heme iron. If you can pair it with vitamin C rich vegetables and forego calcium rich foods around mealtime, that will provide an iron rich natural "supplement".

My son has loved ground meats, so tomato sauce with beef, meatballs, meatloaf, home-made hamburger, etc. were all popular options. Try to offer meat at all meals and for snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Red meat is one of the most bioavailable sources of heme iron. If you can pair it with vitamin C rich vegetables and forego calcium rich foods around mealtime, that will provide an iron rich natural "supplement".

My son has loved ground meats, so tomato sauce with beef, meatballs, meatloaf, home-made hamburger, etc. were all popular options. Try to offer meat at all meals and for snacks.
    meat vs. pill, meat is always the better choice IMO. If you have to do both that could also work.

Hi Debbers, I kind of when down this road-my second son was diagnosed as low iron at his 9 month appt- -he was around a 9-iirc, and my regular pediatrician was on paternity leave and the doctor we saw said to give iron supplements, in part because Sammy was really not eating anything at that point (his choice.) After agonizing about it I finally gave him the iron supplements, which he refused and spit out -probably 2% of what we gave him went in. We saw his USUAL pediatrician at 11 months, Sammy was then measuring about 11, and our doctor told me he would not have even suggested supplements at all!
    So I wonder what is low but OK and what is dangerously low, in terms of the blood tests. Kelly mom discusses it briefly here but I am too dumb to really understand the numbers.

Also, we had to have an actual in the arm draw, as I recall, because the heel stick can be inaccurate? This is going back over 6 years so don’t quote me…
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    dark chocolate is very high in iron, (unsweetened). Also high in fiber. My friend always gives her daughter a few squares per day, they're vegetarian.
    karrieperry you and I both post about grain avoidance. But because I need this to not consume our lives, and shopping every few days for grass fed beef or chicken livers and then cooking them may drive me over the edge, I'm thinking about soaked oats with a little unsulphered blackstrap molasses. I also bought organic beets. While not the highest in iron they have vitamin c which will improve the iron absorption. She gets spinach, I'm starting egg yolk (which she had rejected but now likes). I have other items on the,list but beyond meat, that soaked oat combo with the molasses looks like it'll pack a punch. If I got a puréed fruit with vit c in there I could be getting a lot of bang for the buck and it's easy for husband and nanny. I will not give her any legumes. We are paleo and are not fans of the legume family due to processing and impact on g-tract.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12