Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old snacking for 5 mins every hour - normal?

Default 4 week old snacking for 5 mins every hour - normal?

Hi,

I'm a FTM with 3w4d baby girl. Lately she's been eating every hour or even more often, but she only eats 5, 10mins top. I'm afraid she's not getting enough to eat in such a short feeding. She's having lots of wet and poopy diapers, but still... In the first weeks she was eating every couple hours, sometimes more often, but she stayed on the breast longer. Now I can't keep her awake, she passes out right away and i've been trying all kinds of tricks... She will have a couple longer feedings during the day, but mostly it's snacking every hour or 30 mins. Is that something to be concerned about??

Thanks!!

Default Re: 4 week old snacking for 5 mins every hour - normal?

This sounds like a growth spurt to me. During spurts, babies tend to feed really often, and every 30 minutes isn't uncommon. Fast feedings don't necessarily mean anything. As babies get older and become more adept at nursing, they often figure out how to get all the milk they need in just 5-10 minutes. Also, don't worry about "snacking". Small, frequent feedings are entirely normal for breastfed babies- their tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests fast. Anyone who tells you that your baby should be eating "meals" instead of "snacks" is imposing a biologically unreasonable standard on the baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As long as baby is pooping and wetting and weight gain at last weight check was normal, then this is most likely nothing to worry about. Nursing patterns/habits change frequently because baby knows what baby needs at any given time and will nurse accordingly. Besides the "3 week growth sport" many babies tend to kind of "wake up" at around 2 or 3 weeks and just want to nurse more frequently, and such frequent feedings also mean the feedings may be shorter.

Btw sometime after about 6 weeks, poops MAY get much less frequent. That is also normal and ok.

Ok, thanks a lot!!! As a FTM i have no idea what's right or not and what to expect...

the LLL book "womanly art of breastfeeding" is a super reference for FTM, by the way. and congrats!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.