Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding + Inositol

Default Breastfeeding + Inositol

Hi,

it's my first post so I don't know if it has been asked before.

I suffer from various forms of anxiety and have also been diagnosed with Post Partum OCD (Intrusive Thoughts). Searching around the web I have found that there is a supplement called Inositol in the vitamin-B family that really helps people with OCD and anxiety related problems, especially for those who cannot or will not take any standard SSRI's (usually antidepressants).

For personal reasons I do not want to take any lab made drugs. I have asked my physician, my pedi, and my psychiatrist about Inositol but they all say there have been next to no studies on the use of Inositol and possible effects on the baby while breastfeeding.

I was hoping someone who takes it and breastfed / still breastfeeds could share their experiences with it?

Best,

raptormommysaves

Default Re: Breastfeeding + Inositol

Hi! Probably the best thing you can do is to call Infant Risk and ask them about this supplement--have you done that? They would be most helpful in this situation!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    Hi! Probably the best thing you can do is to call Infant Risk and ask them about this supplement--have you done that? They would be most helpful in this situation!
    Hi! Yeah I have... I've called everyone, including homeopathic/natural doctors, but no one could help me out here From what I've seen around the net it is being taken by quite some people, but I have yet to find anything concerning breastfeeding about it. Since the studies done regarding the efficacy of it are fairly new, most government institutions and doctors have not really heard of it..

Sorry that Infant Risk couldn't help, bummer.

Is the supplement amount more than what would be in, say, a multivitamin? There's a whole host of B complex vitamins in a standard pre or postnatal vitamin, and many of us take those with no harmful effects.

Either way, hang in there. I had symptoms of PTSD/PPOCD after my labor/delivery went awry, so I know how frightening and awful it can be. I reacted terribly to an SSRI, so I did not proceed with that line of treatment myself, either.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    Sorry that Infant Risk couldn't help, bummer.

Is the supplement amount more than what would be in, say, a multivitamin? There's a whole host of B complex vitamins in a standard pre or postnatal vitamin, and many of us take those with no harmful effects.

Either way, hang in there. I had symptoms of PTSD/PPOCD after my labor/delivery went awry, so I know how frightening and awful it can be. I reacted terribly to an SSRI, so I did not proceed with that line of treatment myself, either.
    The normal amount of myo-inositol ingested by food is about 1 mg a day, the "treatment" recommended with taking additional inositol powder has you taking 2 mg a day extra, building up to 18 mg max, increasing with 1 mg a week. Or of course you don't have to up the intake when your anxiety goes away
    The wiki page says it does not build up in the body tissues, but it is water / plasma soluble, and you pee out what you don't use. However, I'm guessing as it's water soluble it will pass in the milk and I am not sure what the increased dosages do with babies.
    There is a study which says that it has a good neurological effect on preemies because it helps with the growth of the neurological pathways.... but does that count for older infants as well?

I really do not like SSRI's and have had really bad reactions to them in the past, they do more harm than good in my case. I'm thinking of still going ahead with the inositol process, and just keeping a very close eye on my babe....

Just an update for whoever might be interested. I started taking 2 teaspoons of inositol a day since the first post, and so far my symptoms have decreased. My little one is fine other than 4 teeth popping through.

Good that you are feeling better and baby is doing well! Thanks for the update.