Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping through the night and pumping

Default Baby sleeping through the night and pumping

Hi mamas,

DS is 13 weeks, and for the past month or so, has been sleeping through the night pretty consistently. He's down for the night after his feed at around 7-8pm and wil wake at 4-5am for his morning feed. Occasionally he'll wake up to feed at around midnight, but most nights, he will happily sleep til the morning.

While I was on maternity leave, I would take that opportunity and pump at 10pm and wake up again at 2am to pump so that I could build up my freezer stash for when I go back to work.

My question is, should I continue to keep the night time pumping sessions?

The only reason I ask is because I've managed to build up a huge stash (around 400oz after my 3 month maternity leave ended), and now that I've gone back to work, I'm already pumping what DS needs to feed for the next day. I don't want all that milk to go to waste. However, I don't want to mess with my supply too much because DS could suddenly decide he doesn't want to sleep through the night anymore

Weight gain has been going well and he takes 3.5-4oz every 3 hours while he's with the sitter, so I think he's getting enough during the day.

Never had this problem with my first two babies because they only started sleeping through the night at 7-8 months. Would really appreciate any advice you can give!
    Thanks mamas!

Default Re: Baby sleeping through the night and pumping

Sounds like you can enjoy the sleep, at least while it lasts! Unless you start feeling really full/engorged, in which case you might want to hand express to relieve discomfort. If your LO starts waking up more frequently at night, he will build your supply up to where it needs to be. Or, if you find that you have trouble keeping up with baby's daytime milk needs, then you can add back a nighttime pump.