Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work and Transportation

Default Back to work and Transportation

Hello everyone! I am EBF my now 6 week old baby girl and plan to return to work in 2.5 weeks. I have talked to my boss and I have his and my coworkers support regarding my pumping at work. We have a typical break area with a fridge and freezer. My Medela Advanced pump has the travel bag with an ice pack included. My question is about where to store my milk at work. Should I be keeping it in the fridge and THEN move it to my cooler bag for the ride home? I'll be dropping it off with my MIL when I pick up LO in the evening.

I probably sound like an idiot, but I am paranoid about making sure the milk is being stored at the right temperature and I have never used a cooler pack for anything...

Default Re: Back to work and Transportation

Here are the kelly mom storage guidelines: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...orage/#storage
    If there is a fridge that's convenient, sure, you can store the milk in there and then use the cooler for the ride home. If the fridge isn't convenient, you can just put the milk in the cooler - as you can see it's good for up to 24 hours in there.

That's great that your boss and coworkers are supportive of pumping!

I use the cooler bags with the included ice pack for storage all day while I am at work. We have a refrigerator, but it is JAMMED with people's lunches here. I have had no trouble with the ice pack/cooler staying cold.

I use the cooler. I have a fridge in my office where i put the pump part so i can reuse them but i am more paranoid about refrigerating the milk, it getting warmer in the cooler bag and then putting it back in the fridge.
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Thank you for the advice! I think I will try the cooler pack in my storage bag. I work with a lot of hungry males who frequent the fridge and now that I think of it, I definitely don't want to have to worry about the door being left open for 5 minutes on end!

Thanks again!

I recommend that you keep extra ice packs at work (in a freezer, if possible) and maybe an extra cooler. You'll be surprised at how easily it is to either A) forget both or B) forget to put the ice packs in the freezer! I've had days where I pumped about a half hour before I had to leave work, only to remember at that point I never put the ice packs in the freezer. Luckily it was a short ride home for me.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.