Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/

Default Pumping/

I have been doing everything I can to make sure that I get 8 feelings a day so that I can maintain my supply. With LO#1 I learned the hard way about that. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. I'll start with what our day looks like:

5am- I pump (baby sleeping still)
    7am-baby wakes up & nurses
    7:30am-leave for work/daycare
    10:30am-I pump at work(baby gets bottle at school)
    1:00pm-I pump at work(baby gets bottle at school)
    3:30pm-I pump at work(baby gets bottle at school)
    4:30pm-pick up kids at daycare
    5:30pm-nurse
    7:30pm-nurse
    8pm-baby goes to bed
    9:30-I pump
    10pm- I go to bed.

So this WAS working for us. But I'd put the baby to breast at times I knew she wasn't hungry just to meet the 8x/day mark. I just feel like our schedule (work/school) provides such little time for wiggle room. Anyway, Then DCP kept asking for more and more milk and as long as I've been able to pump it, I would give it. I know all the rules about 1-1.5oz/per hour I was away, but they kept insisting that she was doing so much better with the more milk. So i obliged reluctantly.
    So I took her in for her 4 Month check up and she has lost weight. I thought maybe it was bc she had been sick a few times since starting dcp..but the dr thinks its bc I'm not feeding her on demand and basically forcing her to "snack" and therefore get less hind milk and that's why she's asking for more at dcp. She thinks I need to spread out her feelings and wait until she is truly hungry and if the time has come and gone and I need to pump then go ahead and pump then if she's hungry soon after (too soon to have built back up milk) to give her what I just pumped. She said by this age she should be going longer stretches between feedings like 3-4 hours. And she thinks she's sleeping too long at night and I need to wake her up a few times to nurse at night. I'm afraid if I do the pump when I need to and let baby determine nursing times ill just end up EPing bc I would think we'd have a tough time being on same schedule. Basically I need to wait longer between nursing sessions and feed more throughout the night? What are your opinions/suggestions? I tell you what...if I just didn't have to work and I could be a SAHM I wouldn't have to worry about any of this and that makes me so sad/angry at my situation

Shoot I forgot to finish out my post title...sorry! It should be pumping/frequency/weight loss
    Last edited by @llli*littleman721; July 22nd, 2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Forgot post title

Default Re: Pumping/

Can you give us a complete weight history? How is diaper output? Was she weighed naked on the same scale every time and did you check the measurement? Some babies do stretch their feedings out but many do not. I disagree with the doctor on the snacking idea. If she wasn't hungry, she'd refuse. If anything offer more often. Hindmilk/foremilk: it's really all the same. Hind milk is the term for when the milk sits in the breast and the fatty ' cream' separates a bit and sticks to tissue farther back in the breast. The shorter time between feedings, the less it separates making the hind/fore milk issue moot. You can do breast compressions/massage before and during feedings to ' mix' everything up for lack of a better term. Not sure if it really works but I've heard of moms doing so. I've also heard of moms spooning off the cream in a bottle of expressed milk for slow gaining babies.
    I DO agree with your doc about sleeping too long at night. Eleven hours is an extremely long time for a 4 month old to go without food. Are you doing anything to encourage this long stretch? Pacifiers, swaddling, a controlled crying type program? Where does she sleep? The extra pumping sessions help your supply but since she's not gaining, you need to be waking her to feed instead. Basically, you need to nurse her as often as she'll take it in the evenings so offer more frequently and yes, more often during the night.
    How much is she taking at daycare? Without nursing at night she may very well be trying to make up the calories OR the dcp provider likes food induced coma babies. Have you heard of paced bottle feeding?
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

I typed out a whole reply, then lost it. ugh.
    Weight history:
    birth=7.8 lbs
    1 month= 9.5 lbs
    2month=11.3 lbs
    4month=12.15 lbs
    I had taken her to the pediatrician for a cold about a week and a half prior to her 4 month and they weighed her then, and she has lost about 6 oz since then. That's why I was surprised she lost weight because her weight history was good.
    I do not do anything to encourage sleep at night other than a paci and a white noise machine. No swaddle, no CIO or any other sleep program. I was shocked when she started sleeping so long on her own, her older brother never did that.
    At DCP she is getting three 4 oz. bottles.
    So I will now wake her for a 9 or 10 pm feeding, then should I do one more in the middle of the night or just maybe wake her for the 5 am session that I ususally pump at? Thank you so much for all of your help and advice. I thought I had BF down pat since I had been successful with my older son, but I guess that's what kids do....constantly keep you on your toes!

It doesn't sound like your DCP is overfeeding--12 ounces over a 9 hour separation is reasonable intake.

What would happen if you eliminate the nighttime paci? Maybe baby will wake to nurse just a bit more! Certainly, the nighttime feeds will help keep your supply up over the long run. And if there is concern about weight, that 11 hour stretch seems like the best place to get some more feedings in.

I would nurse more often, not less. Sneaking in another nursing session at 10pm before you go to bed is a good idea, I did that with my son and he never even woke up, but it got me a couple more hours of solid sleep (not an issue for you, but for me it was). You could also try to sneak in another nursing session when you pick the kids up from daycare. Instead of waiting until you get home just find a seat in the infant room and nurse her right away, then you can still try to get in 2 more session at home before bedtime. If she doesn't want to nurse, then she won't, but at least you are offering.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks for all of yournhelp!,

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleman721 View Post
    She thinks I need to spread out her feelings and wait until she is truly hungry and if the time has come and gone and I need to pump then go ahead and pump then if she's hungry soon after (too soon to have built back up milk) to give her what I just pumped. She said by this age she should be going longer stretches between feedings like 3-4 hours.
    Breastfeeding is all about supply and demand. If you nurse less by spreading out feedings, your supply will decrease, and weight gain will slow. And your breasts are never empty. There's no such thing as "too soon to have built back up milk." If you've just pumped, there's still milk in there; LO may have to work a little harder to get it - but that extra work will help boost supply. I agree with PPs that MORE nursing is what you need, if there is a concern about slow weight gain. Scheduling feedings, spacing out feedings - these are the enemies of successful breastfeeding! I also agree that nighttime nursing is so important for keeping up supply, especially in a working mom who is relying on the pump during the day to keep up her supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I agree with PPs that MORE nursing is what you need, if there is a concern about slow weight gain. Scheduling feedings, spacing out feedings - these are the enemies of successful breastfeeding! I also agree that nighttime nursing is so important for keeping up supply, especially in a working mom who is relying on the pump during the day to keep up her supply.
    Thank you, it just didn't feel right, what she was telling me. Glad to have you all! s