Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upper Lip tie

Default Re: Upper Lip tie

Good point, re trusting baby. I have always had a hard time reading his cues, and I'm a worry wart.

He skipped another bottle feed and ate from the right then the left then the right again and doesn't seem hungry. He only was on the left 3 minutes and the right a total of maybe 12-15... seeing as I have no idea how long a baby should eat from each breast this seems like not enough. But, if I go from cues, he seems satiated... so confusing!

awesome! yes, go by baby's cues. as they get older, they eat faster. 15-18 mins total could definitely be enough.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

i'm not sure that i would quit pumping yet, until the latch is good and the lip tie has been rectified.

but don't forget what you know about milk supply & demand. you KNOW this isn't how it works:

Should I stop pumping or pump less so I actually have milk in there for his sudden frequent feedings?
    less demand = less milk!

you might want to switch so you're pumping after he eats instead of before, though.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

you might want to switch so you're pumping after he eats instead of before, though.
    My thoughts exactly. Looks like he may have a good suck. How are his diapers doing?

His diapers have been just a little less frequent, but not a ton. He went from pooping during and after every feed to maybe just after with a random poop here or there.

I generally pump after he eats, but he's been wanting to nurse at random times, like right after a scheduled pumping, which he ate before. I try to pump every 3 hours, or more frequently. I've been getting considerbly less milk the last 24 hours. About 300 ML less than usual. Baby ate about 250 ML less than usual. Seems like too much to be a coincidence.

After I posted earlier baby woke up acting FAMISHED and refused the breast and needed a bottle. This has been the pattern... go 4 hours just sucking at the breast randomly and seeming fine, then waking up hungry and needing a bottle. So I don't know if diapers would be an indication since he's still getting milk from a bottle.

Though interestingly, he seems to be forgetting how to drink from a bottle after he's been at the breast, and needs a few minutes to remember how to do it. he has the cutest confused look on his face when he does it....

have you talkeld to your LC about how to handle this transition from supplementing/pumping just to breastfeeding? it can be a tricky time ... again we are here to help but since you have a good relationship with her too you might want to call her and talk this through?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Auderey: She's on a 2 week vacation, which is why I'm here with all these silly questions.

oh, right, i forgot! ok, so, the first rule is always: feed the baby. and it sounds like he's gaining weight really well and his doc is happy with that, and you're still pumping, so you've got the basics covered. (also re: poop - somewhere around 6 weeks it's normal for EBF babies to stop pooping so often. some still poop every feed, some will go to a once a week or even longer schedule.)

i think you're basically on the right track here, and you'll have to feel it out as far as the nursing and the bottles. what you know for sure is your body is making enough either way, so as long as he's taking time at the breast, and keeping up with wet diapers (and in the longer term, gaining weight), then you're doing ok.

have you seen this: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    now you're not really doing much if any formula (right?) but some of the info there might be helpful as you wean off the pumping & bottles.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I feel like we're on the right track, because baby used to refuse to latch at all. But I'm really pretty sure he's not getting anything out of the breast at this point. I noticed this when using the shield at the LC's office and she said that the problem was he isn't sucking right... so I'm a bit discouraged because we're doing everything right, but how on earth do you fix a baby's suck? That part's up to him and I can't figure out how to help him at this point.

Besides, even if he is somehow getting something, he can't stay on/won't stay on more than a few minutes and only actively sucks and swallows for maybe 30 seconds to a minute every time he latches. So... until we get him doing that more I don't think I can start weaning off the bottles. I'll use the opportunity on Monday with the Pediatrican's LC to see if he's transferring anything.

He was 4 weeks yesterday so I think we have a little bit to go till the six week poop shortage. And we do 2 oz's of formula once a day every other day or so, when I am not able to keep up with my pumping, or some gets spilled or something.

Anyway, I'm sure I've used up more than my fair share of your time. I'll update you guys if we have progress. Thanks.
    Last edited by @llli*apifera; July 20th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apifera View Post
    I feel like we're on the right track, because baby used to refuse to latch at all. But I'm really pretty sure he's not getting anything out of the breast at this point. I noticed this when using the shield at the LC's office and she said that the problem was he isn't sucking right... so I'm a bit discouraged because we're doing everything right, but how on earth do you fix a baby's suck? That part's up to him and I can't figure out how to help him at this point.
    yes, absolutely - you are on the right track AND you still need to work on the suck issue. getting hte tie clipped will help, and as he gets bigger he'll get better too.

I'll use the opportunity on Monday with the Pediatrican's LC to see if he's transferring anything.
    great idea. but remember that 1 session only tells you about that one session

And we do 2 oz's of formula once a day every other day or so, when I am not able to keep up with my pumping, or some gets spilled or something.
    yeah, that's not bad at all. once you get the latch established the supply will be no issue, i bet.

Anyway, I'm sure I've used up more than my fair share of your time. I'll update you guys if we have progress. Thanks.
    seriously. there is no limit here!!!! stop feeling bad for using a help forum for help
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13