Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dumb question

Default Dumb question

Is it ok to mix baby cereal with water? I hate to waste breastmilk on food they may not eat. Will it be less tasty - and therefore will they be less likely to eat it??

Default Re: Dumb question

My box says it can be mixed with water, but for young babies starting solids, I think they are more likely to experiment with it if it's mixed with breastmilk (certainly for the bf'd baby) or formula. Keep in mind that it can be very thin to start - really just slightly thicker than breastmilk, so the primary taste will still be very much like breastmilk. That encourages babies to try out both a new taste and new texture.

Also, using breastmilk or formula ensures that DB is getting the most nutrition out of it, as it's still breastmilk or formula that delivers that, and not the cereal itself.

I understand your feelings. I probably gave my dd less baby cereal because of this chore of getting the milk to make it with. My nanny gave me the idea of making it with juice. I've been doing this since dd was about 9 mths. It gives it a sweeter taste than using just water. I use half water and half white grape juice.

I tried breastmilk and water. Either way, it made no difference. The baby refused solids until about 10 months old. now she eats constantly and eats everything from the table at about a year.

This first year, food is about taste and texture, not about nutrition. I would say it is ok to mix it with water. Just make sure you bf before giving the cereal.

Ds pretty much hates it with just water. He loves it with breastmilk. Usually now, though, I mix it with fruit or veggies.

As to texture, he liked it thick right from the start. I personally don't like the idea of having him drink it off the spoon; it's called a "solid" food for a reason.