Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sitting with support a sign of readiness?

Default Sitting with support a sign of readiness?

My Elias will be 4 mos on March 10th. He has been sitting with support and exclusively bf. I'm not in a hurry to start solids but my other children never sat so early. I started my last child at 9 mos because that's the age that he seemed to sit up and interested in food. He's a picky guy and i don't want that to happen with my Elias. My first two kids were formula fed so who cares..lol..anyway, is sitting up a sign of readiness? Is waiting as i did with my last child a bad idea?

Default Re: Sitting with support a sign of readiness?

The AAP and LLL recomend that you wait until your child is 6 months until you begin solids. Though our grandmothers and mothers might have been led to believe that there were advantages to early solids, this is not thecase. Human milk is the most COMPLETE nutrition for your baby for the first year. You would be substituting your babies diet with inferior food. With that said, sitting without support is a sign, but there are also others you should be watching for in addition to it. I would not begin solids based upon that one flag. Your baby's natural urge to chew will not develop until 6-7 months, demonstrating a sign that baby's digestive system is ready for something more. When ready for solids, db will put everything in his mouth, watch you eat intently, and maybe even mimick you chewing (note that some babies are more interested in your utensils than your food so you may want to try giving a spoon first to make sure it's the food baby wants). My ds even started pulling my food off my plate! The early stages of showing signs that the pincer grasp is developing is another flag.

You may want to think about waitng to start solids for a couple reasons. First, you want to maintain your milk supply. When solid foods replace human milk in your baby's diet it decreases the protective antibodies the baby recieves. Baby balances their energy intake my reducing the ammount of milk they consume. Also, the younger your baby is, the more likely it is that any foods other than your milk will cause food allergies. Some babies with a tendency towards allergies will refuse solids for 7-8 mos (Mother nature is so smart!).

I don't think your other childs picky-ness has much to do with starting solids late. THat would have more to do with what you offer rather than when you offer it...or just that your child is naturally picky!
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; February 24th, 2006 at 07:38 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Thank you! I figured that but wasn't sure since all babies are different. I don't feel comfy starting solids before 6 mos or by 6 mos really..he is a chunk on my milk alone and i want to keep it that way..thanks again

I'm glad I could help! Your mommy instinct knew what was up... sometimes it just helps to hear someone else validate them because we hear so many contradictory things! Good luck!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Great advice Kristi, you are going to make a wonderful leader someday! My ds was also sitting well at 6 months so we offered him some solids but he was not ready, his poor little tummy was very sore, lots of gas etc. We had to take a step back and wait a little bit longer. Now that he does he solids I sorda miss not having to worry about what I am going to feed him, and I also miss those just breast milk poops, these "food" poops are a different story and color! LOL ( we are into orange veggies these days, if you know what I mean?!? )

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Great advice Kristi, you are going to make a wonderful leader someday! My ds was also sitting well at 6 months so we offered him some solids but he was not ready, his poor little tummy was very sore, lots of gas etc. We had to take a step back and wait a little bit longer. Now that he does he solids I sorda miss not having to worry about what I am going to feed him, and I also miss those just breast milk poops, these "food" poops are a different story and color! LOL ( we are into orange veggies these days, if you know what I mean?!? )

Aww... thanks! 2 more months until I apply!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader