Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Baby acne"

Default "Baby acne"

Hi ladies, looking for some advice, my little guy just turned 5 weeks on Monday and for the last 3-4 days he has been breaking out on his face, mostly on his cheeks and chin. I thought I had read somewhere on here about some possible allergies? Any advice would be great, also, I am not using any creams/nipples creams etc....Thanks!!

Default Re: "Baby acne"

If it continues for several weeks and spreads farther down onto his chest, it might be allergy related. What you're describing sounds more like typical hormone induced baby acne. Time should cure it, though I think some mothers put breast milk on it. Other symptoms of allergies include frequent PAINFUL night waking different from normal nursing frequency, chronic congestion, red circular rash on the anus, puffy/shadowed eyes, and bloody stools.

Thanks for the reply, so I should have looked better, the rash is on his upper chest, his bottom seems red (I actually was putting a diaper rash cream on it and his eyes do have small bags under them. I didn't realize all these symptoms went together. Where do I begin to figure out the possible allergy? Eliminate dairy?

I think you don't go anywhere with this, for the time being. 5 week-old babies have very delicate skin, they tend to get normal baby acne and various diaper rashes... Everything you're seeing could be totally normal, and not a symptom of anything. Rather than going down the rabbit hole of dietary eliminations, just keep observing your baby for a while longer. If he seems happy and healthy and is growing normally and not having weird poops, then this is probably either nothing or something very minor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds great, I will give it more time. He doesn't seem uncomfortable and bm's are yellow and seedy. He is gaining weight like a champ and seems happy! Thanks for the advice!

Sounds good. While ds did have those symptoms, it was obvious he was in pain all the time. Hope everything else is going well!

My LO just got over an awful rash. In the beginning, my MIL kept saying it's just "baby acne." My mother on the other hand was ademate that we take her in to see her pediatrician! I was so stir-crazy. It WAS like baby acne at first...but spread to her ears, chin and neck. Her belly and legs and arms had little red dots, not too severe. It was thick and red patches on her little cheeks just like eczema...I was terrified. Pediatrician prescribed a medicinal cream and within 3-4 days it was completely gone! I found that cleansing the area several times a day, after each feeding along with the medicine helped a lot. After the it cleared I used the medicine once a day on dry areas and Babo Botanicals calendula dream (amazing).