Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions to increase supply

Default Suggestions to increase supply

Hello-
    My son is 5 months and my supply has noticeably decreased in the last month.
    I am working full time and pumping and desperately want to continue to breast feed my baby.
    What can I do to increase my supply. I'm taking fenugreek which doesn't seem to be doing anything, I've tried the oatmeal every day, and if I drink anymore water I may as well live in the bathroom. I've asked my OBGYN about prescriptions that I have researched and she said that there was no such thing and recommended I drink more water.
    Any advise for me would be great! It's truly stressing me out. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Suggestions to increase supply

Just a couple of questions, and hopefully we can figure out what is going on. First, why do you think your supply has decreased? Are you having pumping difficulties? What sort of pump are you using? How many times is baby nursing when you are together? And how much is baby drinking in bottles when you are apart?

During my pumping sessions at work in not getting as much as I have, therefore, my freezer stash is getting low.
    I pump at 9:30, 12:30, & 3:30. He nurses around 6:30 in the morning before we leave the house. He has 4 5oz bottles
    while at daycare and nurses 2-3 times before going down for the night. He also wakes twice in the middle of the night to nurse.

O, I have a Madela pump in style double breast pump.

During my pumping sessions at work in not getting as much as I have, therefore, my freezer stash is getting low.
    I pump at 9:30, 12:30, & 3:30. He nurses around 6:30 in the morning before we leave the house. He has 4 5oz bottles
    while at daycare and nurses 2-3 times before going down for the night. He also wakes twice in the middle of the night to nurse.

Wow. He's being overfed during the day. It should be 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation so 12 oz for an eight hour day, not twenty. Look into paced bottle feeding and keep no more than 2-4 oz in a bottle. Breast fed babies do not need ever increasing amounts of milk, unlike formula fed babies. If he eats less during the day, he'll nurse more during the evening with you, which is the best thing for your supply. No pump can drain the breast as well as baby.

Sorry a typo: he's eating 4oz not 5, and he's at daycare from 7:30AM - 6PM. And he doesn't always drink the 4th bottle.

You feed at 6:30 and pump 3 times during the day. And then he nurses 2 to 3 more times? I count that you are stimulating your breasts 6-7 times per day. Is that right?

I've found that to keep my supply up, I need to put the pump or the baby to my breast 8+ times per day. You could potentially increase your supply by adding another feeding session or pumping session.

Lately I am feeling less productive than normal. I've either been letting my son snooze in our bed with us, where he will snack more often since my breasts are right there and he likes the "open bar" policy, or I try to offer while he is in a light sleep and more willing to nurse than to practice crawling or watch his sister.

Add in more pumping sessions and you should see more milk. 6-7 nursing/pumping sessions typically isn't enough. Think about it this way- most moms who are exclusively nursing will nurse at least 8 times a day throughout the first year, and many will nurse a lot more frequently than that,
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*connectikate View Post
    You feed at 6:30 and pump 3 times during the day. And then he nurses 2 to 3 more times? I count that you are stimulating your breasts 6-7 times per day. Is that right?

I've found that to keep my supply up, I need to put the pump or the baby to my breast 8+ times per day. You could potentially increase your supply by adding another feeding session or pumping session.

Lately I am feeling less productive than normal. I've either been letting my son snooze in our bed with us, where he will snack more often since my breasts are right there and he likes the "open bar" policy, or I try to offer while he is in a light sleep and more willing to nurse than to practice crawling or watch his sister.
    She said he's also nursing twice overnight. Better numbers but still maybe not ideal for you. Typo makes much more sense! Any opportunity to nurse him more when together even if it's just a minute or two? Can you make a hands free bra to pump under a blanket in the car on the way to/from work? Have you troubleshooted your pump lately? The little membranes wear out eventually. Mine had a small tear in it which affected suction. Do you do breast compressions while pumping and hit the letdown button when flow slows down if your pump has that option? Drink to thirst. Latest studies point to over drinking water actually decreasng supply.