Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low supply after sickness

Default Low supply after sickness

I have exclusively breastfed my 6 1/2 month daughter and started solids at 6 months old. I work full time and normally pump 4 oz every three hours and this seems just right for her.

We have had such a rouch couple of weeks at our house. Last weekend my 3 1/2 year old son and I got food poisioning. I got so dehydrated I had muscle cramps and lost about 5 lbs in 24-hour. I am currently about 6 lb below my prepregancy weight without working out or dieting. I can't remember ever being so sick. Things seemed to be getting back to normal. Then the following Monday my daughter came down with a fever, which later turned out to be roseola. By Thursday my son started running high fevers and we assumed roseola, but he had it before so it seems strange. Today is his first day of no fever but he didn't get the characteristic rash. Yesterday, I suddenly started chilling and having body aches. My temp was 104.5. I went to the doctor who ruled out flu. Today is slightly better but I am still having some fever and then having it break for a few hours before it is back. I am curious. Have any of you mothers caught roseola?

My daughter is at day care and I can tell this string of illiness have affected by supply. I am geting 2.5 - 3 oz instead of 4. What should I do? I am trying to eat more. Do I need to supplement her? (I have about 80 oz of freezer supply). What can I do to get back to normal?

BTW - at 6 months old she was 16 lb 13 oz (60 percentile) and 25.25 in (25 percentile) long. She typically nursing once in the morning, has three bottles at day care, nurse 2-3 times before going to bed and nurses around 3 times during the night. She has loved solids from the first bite and will lean in and open her mouth like a baby bird. Then we she is done she lets us know by turning away. She usually eat about half a jar once a day.

Default Re: Low supply after sickness

Hi mama, so sorry to hear you and the little ones have been sick! Sounds awful. My LO had roseola recently, I definitely did not catch it. I've always thought of it as a childhood illness.

Anyway, with regards to supply, the best antidote to supply drops is to increase demand. I'm assuming (hoping) that if you have a temperature of 104.5 you are staying home from work? Keep baby in bed with you and nurse, nurse, nurse. No need to supplement. Just give baby free access to the breast. A six month old healthy baby can weather a couple days of decreased supply and if you supplement, you will take away her natural response to the low supply, which is to nurse more, which is exactly what you need to bump up supply! If supply isn't back up to where it needs to where it was when you go back to work, then you can add in another pumping session or try pumping longer until you are back on track. Also, no need to try to increase solids at this point. Before a year solids are for learning tastes, textures and self-feeding motor skills; breastmilk is for nutrition. And of course, make sure you take care of yourself! Rest and hydration.

I didn't go to work today. But I sent the baby to daycare so I could rest. She nursed three times tonight before she went to sleep and seemed content. It is my understanding that most adults don't catch Roseola. But I managed to catch hand foot and mouth disease from my son. My doctor told me he also caught it on his pediatric rotation. So I guess adults catching those things is not unheard of. I think I have been run down from the food poisoning, so my system is probably not the best at fighting things off right now. I am feeling better. Still getting a fever on and off, but not nearly as high and the body aches are gone.

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better.... If you're home tomorrow without baby again, just try to pump as you can. I think as you recover from this illness your supply will pick up too.

Any hard or tender areas in your breast? Or red patches/streaks on the exterior skin of the breast? When I hear that a mom has flu-like symptoms, a fever, aches and pains, and a diminution of supply, I immediately think mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's a good thought. If that's the case you do want to be sure to empty the breast as thoroughly as possible.

Just wanted to add something from my experience.

When my DS1 was 6 months, he got Roseola and I got sick ( wasn't roseola, they didn't figure out what it was). I had a fever of 104/105 and had IV fluids after a couple days of testing. Felt better, but supply also went down.

I just nursed as much as possible and pumped too and my supply recovered. I nursed my DS1 until her was 1.5 years old... So don't worry. Rest up, nurse/pump and drink lots of water

Oh I also posted a couple weeks ago about feeling low supply after having a tummy ache. After 2 days of nursing lots and drinking lots of water (and trying to sleep a bit more), my supply recovered too

Good point on mastitis. After reading the post today, I kind of wondered if that could be it. Cause I did feel just a little bit of tenderness on the right side. But I think it is just a clogged duct because my husband has came down with the fever and body aches this evening. I went to work today for the afternoon (and managed to drive off with my phone on my car and lost all pictures, etc uhh what a week!). I nursed DD at daycare then went to work (5 minutes away). I pumped 3 hours later and just got 2.5 oz. So even though I am feeling a lot better, I am not seeing increased production yet. She had a 4 oz bottle at daycare at 3:30 and I nursed her as soon as I got home at 615, then fed her solids (apple-bananna-strawberry). She was extra hungry. Fussed when she finished the half jar so we fed her the rest. She does a good job of letting us know when she is done and when she wants more. She nursed 2 twice and went to sleep. Then work up crying 10 minutes later. So she nursed again and definitely got a little more. I am worried she is being under fed. I guess I need to watch wet diapers, etc. I am trying to eat and drink more (and eating oatmeal tonight). Going to order fenugreek. I just want to make sure I can keep her healthy. I hate this.

Honestly I wouldn't expect to see the supply increase yet today - you're just starting to pull out of what sounds like a pretty serious infection! Give it a couple days. It sucks being sick, but you and she will both get through this.