Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help w/ sched nursing & pumping to maintain supply!

Default help w/ sched nursing & pumping to maintain supply!

Hi there!
    I have been relaxing a bit. My 8mo LO is thriving, but I have noticed a decrease in the production, that I want to stop right in the tracks. The thing is...I have also been nursing and pumping a little less. I am starting to count to see if I make it to 10 sessions a day, bet pumping and nursing. My question are two: Do those short nursing sessions count as 1? and...Do any of you have a schedule to helpme? I usually pump once in a part time job that I have twice a week and two, at a whole day gig I have once a week. The rest I work at home, so I nurse. In the weekends I nurse once a day.
    My goal is to keep bfing til baby's 2, at least. I hope my production can go on til then!
    Greetings!
    guada
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

Default Re: help w/ sched nursing & pumping to maintain supply!

What makes you feel you have had a decrease in production?

Did you mean to say you are only nursing once a day on the weekends? Or did you mean to say you pump once a day on the weekends.

Most of the time as long as you are nursing on demand and not limiting your baby's frequency or time at the breast, your body will make exactly as much as you need.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

H there! Sorry for the delayed answer...my LO isgoing through her first flu.
    About your questions: I usually pump more in the mornings, and used to get about 3,5 oz. Later at work, I usually get 2 oz. These days, I get 2 oz in the mornings...Tht's been bothering me.
    I nurse on demand when we're together (Half Monday, whole Tuesday, Half Wday, Thday mornings and evenings, whole Friday ad weekends..and she sleeps w me, so she nurses in her sleep. What changed is,she has started her solids. She does nurse before and fter eating lunch and diner, and nibbles on bread or crackers if she wants to when she sees me have breakfast or tea.
    I am a bit lazy about the pumping when we're together. I prorize her nursing. And if she's awake I find it very difficult to pump. SHe wants to play with the cord, etc
    I need the pumped milk for the days I'm not with her...so I am a bit anxious, even though I know that my body will make the milk she needs for nursing...Now I will be having winter holidays, and I'l try to build up the stock, as well as hving one or two nursing days. I suppose that should do.
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

You might want to troubleshoot your pump. Sometimes changing the valves and membranes can get your pump output back on track. Also, I'm not sure how long the supply decrease has been going on? Any chance it could be your period coming back? (If it's been going on for weeks or a month, I'd say not as likely, but if it's just a few days or a week, that could be the case). Any new hormonal contraception?

It's good that you are nursing before solids.