Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaking

Default Leaking

What's the best way to go braless if you leak? Do those Lily Pad things work - are they those plastic sort of cups that stick on and catch the milk and you can dump it later?

Thanks!

Default Re: Leaking

I don't leak, so can't speak much to that, but I think the Lily Pads are silicone pads that stick to the nipple and thus prevent leaking, kinda like a Band-Aid. Based on your other posts about recurring mastitis and possible breast infections, though, I wouldn't recommend these as they can trap germs/bugs and be a breeding ground for stuff like that.

Oh, OK, I think I was thinking of breast shells. I was just thinking of using something like this on the breast that my baby doesn't use - it doesn't produce any milk to speak of, or get infected, but it still leaks just enough that I need to wear a bra in order to have a nursing pad on that side. I thought if I could go braless it might be better for the (non-leaking) side that keeps getting infected.

Thanks for the advice andie!

I have small breasts and have been known to use an undershirt and just stick a disposable breast pad to the inside at the height of my breasts. You could do it only on the leaking side. However, it didn't really work for me as I need a bra to help keep DD's exploring hands away.

Another thought is to use a nursing bra and just leave it open on the non-leaking (infecting) side.

Or if it only leaks when feeding on the other side, you might just slip a breast pad or a cloth in there with your hand while nursing. I have done that too.