Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much solid food for 7 month old

Default how much solid food for 7 month old

My 7 month old is a very distractable baby. She makes up for it by nursing all night long. She's been doing BLS for about a month and loves it. She always seems to want a little more solid food, my guess is because she doesn't nurse much during the day. So far I've just been letting her have a little bit a few times per day, for example two peach wedges here and a piece of something else there. She can get all the peach off of a wedge, so she's really eating the whole thing!

Is that enough at 7 months? Is it okay to give more if she wants it? I know it's "baby led" but if baby doesn't want to nurse then my assumption is that I should really limit the solids to just a few tastes.
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: how much solid food for 7 month old

At just 7 months, the amount of solids you're offering is more than enough. At this point, solids are just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, so it doesn't matter if your LO actually eats the solids or just plays with them. Since she's still so young, and you say she's distractable, I do think it makes sense to limit the solids a little. Just for another few months.

Thanks, I thought the same thing. If I had to guess at the actual amount it's about 1-2 tsp. I can't imagine if I actually followed the pediatrician advice and started out with 1 Tbsp at 6 months and then 3 Tbsp now. I think that would definitely affect supply.
    and Mama to two little girls

My LO is coming up around 9th month and is breasted, this is our routine and has been since 6 months:

7am. Milk feed
    8am. Breakfast (as much as she wants to eat, probably thE equivalent of half a 7+ jar) and water
    2pm. Milk feed
    5pm. Dinner and water
    6.30pm. Milk feed
    9pm. Milk feed (I'm trying to bring this forward from a dream feed at 10)

He will sleep around 10pm-7am.

This is my daily time table for my DS.

7am. Milk feed
    8am. Breakfast (as much as she wants to eat, probably thE equivalent of half a 7+ jar) and water
    2pm. Milk feed
    5pm. Dinner and water
    6.30pm. Milk feed
    9pm. Milk feed (I'm trying to bring this forward from a dream feed at 10)
    That suggests that your baby has been nursing just 4x per day since 6 months, correct? If so, that's very little nursing for such a young baby. Some kids clearly do just fine on a lower-than-average number of nursing sessions, and perhaps yours is one. But on average, babies who are fed on cue will nurse far more often than just 4x per day, because babies are designed to get most of their calories from breastmilk until around 12 months. In order to do so, most babies have to nurse at least 8x per day.

Breastmilk should be their main source of nutrition until 12 months. Solid foods are introduced at six months (before 1 year) just to get acquainted with new foods. Make her to nurse more by limiting the solid foods.