Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: start early or wait

Default start early or wait

My baby will be 5 months old on Wednesday. In the past few weeks, she has become very interested when my husband or I am eating or drinking anything (and if we're holding her, she'll grab for it). I give her probiotic powder mixed with breastmilk on my finger and she loves it (I think she thinks I giving her food as I mix it on a spoon first), and last week just for fun when I expressed for her probiotics I also expressed a couple sips into a cup and let her drink that. She eagerly drank it. I'm sure she loves both because they're breastmilk, which is all she knows, and her interest in food is probably just her wanting to explore more things to stick in her mouth. I've heard/read starting before 6 mos can be problematic at least if there is a family history of food allergies (which there is in my family), so would it be wise to wait til next month even though she's showing interest now?

Default Re: start early or wait

I would wait until 6 months, but I am kind of crazy opinionated about starting solids before babies are completely ready. Is she sitting up by herself and grabbing things with her hands and putting them into her mouth? Those are another two signs of readiness. Go by age first, then look for the other signs.

In the meantime, give her a spoon and cup to play with while you eat and she will feel like she is participating, too.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I really like your breastmilk delivered via spoon approach!

When you do start solids, remember that you're going to be staring slooooowwwww! A teaspoon or two per day is more than enough for a beginning solids eater, as your goal is to complement breastmilk in your baby's diet, not replace it. Also, remember that until a year, solids are primarily for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. The goal is to give your baby a fun, educational experience, not to tank her up on solids.

Thank you for your responses. She's starting to sit up unsupported for short periods of time and loves grabbing at things (ha, had to go to the eye doctor today because she tried to grab my glasses and poked my eye badly!). I ordered the Baby Led Weaning book from the library to read over the next few weeks. I know things are going to be very slow, and I am definitely not wanting food to replace breastfeeding any time soon! I mostly just want her to have some fun instead of just grasping for (and fussing for) our food/drinks. I'll try giving her an empty cup and spoon to play with - thanks!

The recommendation now is to wait till 6 months even if on formula (used to be 4 months for formula fed, and 6 months for breastfed). Mine didn't start till 6.5 months. You can try to give a bite or two if you wish, but only after breastfeeding. And only introduce one new thing every 3-4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hayashi View Post
    And only introduce one new thing every 3-4 days.
    I have seen lots of people on this forum suggest this, but I have never had a pediatrician recommend this or seen literature support this, except with foods that are in the big-8 allergy foods, like wheat and soy. We always fed our kids whatever we were eating, as long as it was infant appropriate, with low salt and sugar.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Well, that's what my child's allergist suggested, so I am just passing the info. If there is a reaction, it is easier to track down if you only introduced one kind of thing. After several weeks of slowing introducing different things without reaction, I relaxed the rules.

I probably will start by introducing foods one at a time at first, because we have a family history of major food allergies and other digestive problems, so I don't want to push things too fast.

I have started introducing the solids when my DS was around 6th month as it is the right time. As few babies will not be ready for the food. Babies like to imitate what they see which makes this a better time for introducing solid foods.

As the babies digestive system cannot handle anything besides breast milk or formula. And even you should not wait for a longer time or your baby may get habitat with the liquids diet and baby will loses interest in learning to chew and swallow the foods.

I had read an information about when to introduce solid food http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/...ing-solid-food. Even baby food chart
    this can give idea about foods to give http://www.momjunction.com/articles/...chart_0080607/