Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7 week old fighting at the breast, short feedings, pain

Default Re: 7 week old fighting at the breast, short feedings, pain

Ok so I went to the LC yesterday afternoon, and the overall takeaway seemed to be that this is just the way things are and they aren't likely to get better.

She told me to do block feedings to reduce my supply and suggested lecithin as a supplement in case my ducts are getting clogged. We practiced latching a little, but I couldn't feel much difference between the good latch with her and my normal bad latches. She said the letdown pain I have in breast A while I feed the baby on breast B is inevitable and can't be helped. She said that when my supply is more regulated, then I wouldn't have so much achiness and sensitivity in the breast between feedings, and the letdown pain and perhaps overactive letdown will get better too. I have a hard time believing that because my breast is achy and sensitive even when it's just been drained, but I'm not sure how much of that is nipple pain. I was hoping for some kind of immediate relief, and failing that, hope, and I don't think I got that.

The LC also described what is necessary to cut milk from my diet, and I hate that idea. I don't think things are bad enough to require those desperate measures now. The baby only sometimes fusses at the breast, but doesn't fuss all day and isn't colicky.

I asked about nipple shields and she said they wouldn't help. I'd like to try them, but like you said, they shouldn't be used without guidance and support, and I don't feel I have that.

Sometimes I do have the tip of the nipple turn white. Not every time. And sometimes there's a crease in the part of the nipple where the side of the baby's mouth was, as if he's flattened it.

I guess my next question is how will I know when I should stop the block feeding and when my supply is not too much, not too little, but just right?

I personally have extreme letdown pain. it is ONLY during letdown, and then it goes away, so I am not sure it is the same as what you are experiencing. But it does sound similar to what I was experiencing in the early weeks wiht my daughter when I was also very engorged and she had a bad latch on one side, making the latch painful (and causing bruising/injury) AND making it hard for her to get milk out so I was never not super full. Engorgement always hurts.

Once over production begins to get less, engorgement should go away, your breasts should not feel so full, (or full at all) and your pain from all that should lessen. I say "Should" because that is what happens in the vast majority of cases. No more engorgement, no more pressure, no more pain. Engorgement is NOT normal when breastfeeding. It is a sign that either 1) baby is not nursing frequently enough or well enough or 2) mom has overproduction. Or both, as in my case.

IN my personal experience, let down pain also gets much less as production levels off to normal levels. But some letdown sensation-which can certainly hurt, but pretty much momentarily, may continue, at least, that is my personal experience. It is also my personal exp. that letdown pain while nursing becomes less to almost non-existent, but let down pain that occurs when baby is NOT nursing still hurts. But again, only for a bit. of course, at that point, I usually get with baby and nurse if possible.

Because you keep having more pain in that one breast, I wonder about a "low lying" breast infection or plugs that you cannot feel because your breast is so overfull/overproducing right now. ??? Does your breast feel hot, any redness? have you been able to really ‘dig around” and look for plugs?

I would agree, no reason to cut dairy from your diet.

I asked about nipple shields and she said they wouldn't help. I'd like to try them, but like you said, they shouldn't be used without guidance and support, and I don't feel I have that.
    A nipple shield costs less than $10.00 and you can get them at babies r us and target. If you want to try one, I suggest buying one and trying it. It would just be on the one side, right? Just understand 1) how to put it on (read the directions carefully) and 2) the potential consequences, which are laid out pretty clearly in the article I am linking below. If it does help, call the IBCLC back, tell her you are using a shield and it seems to be helping with your pain, and can she help you make sure there are no adverse consequences. According to some IBCLC’s they CAN help with nipple sensitivity, and they can help when a baby cannot latch (cannot even get on the breast) –that is what they are designed for. But the jury is out on if they help with poor latch. Some moms swear they do, but the experts typically disagree. imo what fixes a poor latch is baby latching better, which may be improved over time as well when you stop being so full all the time. So whether they will help you or not, I of course have no idea. They certainly will not help with overproduction. If anything, they may cause more issues because baby may not be able to extract milk well with the shield. So you have to watch out for that.

I guess my next question is how will I know when I should stop the block feeding and when my supply is not too much, not too little, but just right?
    What did the IBCLC say about that? What were her specific instructions about block nursing?

Nipple shields: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marjojo View Post
    Sometimes I do have the tip of the nipple turn white. Not every time. And sometimes there's a crease in the part of the nipple where the side of the baby's mouth was, as if he's flattened it.
    This sounds like vasospasm due to compression of the nipple. Vasospasm can produce pain which is often mistaken for thrush, because it can be so intense, and because it can radiate. This link covers vasospasms: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It sounds good to me to hear that decreasing supply will indeed solve some of the issues I'm having.

The letdown pain while I'm nursing on the other breast is in both breasts. Sorry if I was unintentionally misleading on that point. You're right that it's just momentary. I can stand it if the other pains get better. I usually massage the breast while feeding or pumping, and sometimes I do feel hard spots that don't go away, but usually they do. Some of the ones near the center of the breast are hard to feel.

Next time I have a chance to go somewhere where I can buy a nipple shield to try it I will. It seems like it's worth a shot.

The LC was pretty vague about when to stop the block feedings. She said I'd know or when I don't feel so engorged anymore or something like that.

So I believe I'm getting vasospasms every once in a while. I guess the only/best way to prevent that is a good latch, right?

Has anyone ever tried lecithin? Does it work to prevent clogged ducts? Is it worth it?

Yes, lethicin can help for plugged ducts. Like anything it depends on the person though. I know someone who had mastitis every month with son (at least 20 times) which cleared up completely by taking it.

Things have gotten a lot better, but I'm still having some issues. The baby isn't fighting at the breast anymore, and I think my oversupply is mostly resolved. I'm not getting as engorged as often. He's feeding for longer periods more often. The latch on one side is a lot better most of the time. The other side still has nipple pain, and that's the one that was always more flat to begin with.

The weird thing that I wish I could fix now is random shooting pains in the breast when I'm not nursing. Usually it's in the breast that's more full than the other (I've been doing only one breast at each feeding.) Any idea what is causing these pains and how to stop them?

off the top of my head- Random shooting pain possibilities: Thrush, or plugs or mastitis, or let down pain. I am sure there are other possibilities that may have to do with your personal internal breast anatomy(?)

Mommal would know this-can Reynards or vasospasm cause internal breast pain? I imagine it can...

Are you still in touch with your IBCLC? Did you ever try a sheild? I am glad things are going better but I am not happy you are still having nipple (latch?) pain.