Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I ever dry up?

Default Will I ever dry up?

I nursed DS until 3 1/2. We were down to only quick before-bed sessions once a day. Last nursed him 2 months ago. I still have milk.

Seriously, I just now leaked a bit onto my shirt. I'm planning to have a breast lift & augmentation at the end of the year. Doc told me 6 months past weaning I should be fine, but the fact that I still have milk makes me nervous.

Is there anything I can do to help dry up my milk at this point? I'm basically a unicorn, I don't know anyone IRL who nursed so long, and docs seem to have zero experience as well.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Default Re: Will I ever dry up?

I've heard it can take up to a year for milk to completely disappear. I would think with no stimulation you will dry up. I never had leaking, ever and had about no milk by the time DD weaned at 3-1/4 but I know my miscarriages really caused my supply to decrease.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Up to a year, even longer for some moms.

Are you planning for your 3.5 year-old to be your last baby? The reason I ask is that breast surgeries can impact your ability to produce milk, so if you want more children I think a really detailed conversation with your doctor is in order. This might be something you want to push off into the future, when your family is complete- if it isn't already.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No, family is complete. I'm 39, and it took a lot of effort and artificial reproductive tech to get my little one. I'm all done.

So, if I'm doing nothing to remove milk now, what's happening to it? Does it get re-absorbed or something? I think I'm willing to wait 6-8 months, but probably not a year, just based on scheduling, to have the surgery, and obviously doc's recommendation is 6 months should be fine.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Yes, it will get reabsorbed. Avoid expressing more than a drop or two, and it should vanish faster.

My second LO weaned about 2 months ago and I still have a tiny bit of milk, and expect that I will for some time to come.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wonder if cabbage leaves in your bra would help. I've heard that for engorgement, idk if it works when you just have a little bit of milk.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.