Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pumping only 1-1.5 oz

Default Re: Pumping only 1-1.5 oz

Yea I've been doing all that so hoping it gets better. She fusses and twists so the feeding take over an hour. We did it last night from 8-11:30 and I was exhausted after it!

It is exhausting, but very normal for such a young baby to nurse for hours on end, especially in the evening. This won't go on forever!

The nursing has been miserable and I think she has gone on strike. It takes an hour plus to nurse her with active sucking for only 10 mins. She pulls off and cries every minute. I've tried every position and nothing works. I can walk sometimes and away her quickly but even that only lasts 5 mins and its exhausting. I have a 3 year old so can't spent 4 hours every evening trying to nurse her. I've been pumping for the past 48 hours only and I have to say it is much easier and less stressful. I am getting about 2-2.5 after 30 mins now and pumping every 2 hours. I know I don't have oversupply but I do have a forceful letdown which she doesn't like. I would love to nurse her but I can't just sit there for hours on end. My older daughter needs me and pumping allows my husband and others to feed her.

Mama, you've been working SO HARD!!! What can we do or say to help you right now?

One thing I would suggest doing right now, as you experiment with just pumping, is to try to keep baby on the breast for at least 1-2 feedings per day. 1-2 feedings is doable, right? It was for me, anyway. And my feeling is that it's worth doing because it will keep your options open. As long as baby remembers how to latch, and is willing to latch, you can always go back to nursing from the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Honestly...just you saying that is great. I've been killing myself and obsessing over this and the pumping. Everybody on here keeps saying breast is best and pumping is too much work. I know it is but the nursing is even harder on me right now so EPing is working out for now. I do want to nurse her but don't want to see her scream for 4 hours and then still be hungry when she could get a bottle and just sleep. I need sleep also!

The only thing that is still frustrating is the supply. I am barely ahead of her by 3 oz and canny increase no matter what. I take a crap ton of pills, drink tons of water, eat fatty foods, power pump daily and still only get 2-2.5 ever max...3 in the mornings if I haven't pumped in a while. WTH more do I need to do??? I'm on lactiful now and ordered domperidone as my last resort. I am determined to go at least 3 months with this and then if it doesn't work when I go back to work, I know I did all I could and I was just one of those moms with low supply. How some moms can nurse and then pump 8 oz is beyond me! How I would kill to be one of them!

Thanks for all the help. I'm off to bed now...for 90 mins at least until I have to pump again. Sigh...

Hi, I'm probably late in the game for this thread but I just read all the responses.

Couple things I wanted to mention that I don't think I saw ...

- breast compressions. Are you able to do this during pumping and/or when you see the flow slow down? I was always to lazy to do this with my first when I pumped at work but it can make a lot of difference. For me, about .5-1oz more. I heard some ppl say another 1-2 oz !!!! Do you have a hands free bra set up (I use the simple wishes one, available on amazon)
    - correct size flanges? The ones that come with the pump fits well for me but I did buy a size up before. I had all my regular size ones downstairs today so I just used the bigger one as I was too lazy to go downstairs and I could feel the suction was off and the output was much less than normal
    - have you tried eating oatmeal. That helps some moms boost supply
    - some also try fenugreek (google kellymom.com and fenugreek )
    - wanted to comment on the cluster feeding. It's soooo normal. I have a 2.5 yrd old and felt bad bc. Baby would cluster feed during bath time/ story time and bedtime.... So I always missed that. It only lasted a few weeks. So I understand how you feel. Now baby is 5 months and I typically can time it so that we put big brother to together, then I take ds2 to bed and nurse him to sleep.

- Oh did you look into a hospital grade pump as PP suggested? I originally had the Medela free style and got nothing when I pumped. Then I got the Medela PISA and it worked for me. Everyone is different so worth looking into. I recall seeing it at the hospital for $90/month or $30/ week

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbbsmama View Post

- breast compressions. Are you able to do this during pumping and/or when you see the flow slow down? I was always to lazy to do this with my first when I pumped at work but it can make a lot of difference. For me, about .5-1oz more. I heard some ppl say another 1-2 oz !!!! Do you have a hands free bra set up (I use the simple wishes one, available on amazon)
    - correct size flanges? The ones that come with the pump fits well for me but I did buy a size up before. I had all my regular size ones downstairs today so I just used the bigger one as I was too lazy to go downstairs and I could feel the suction was off and the output was much less than normal
    - have you tried eating oatmeal. That helps some moms boost supply
    - some also try fenugreek (google kellymom.com and fenugreek )
    - wanted to comment on the cluster feeding. It's soooo normal. I have a 2.5 yrd old and felt bad bc. Baby would cluster feed during bath time/ story time and bedtime.... So I always missed that. It only lasted a few weeks. So I understand how you feel. Now baby is 5 months and I typically can time it so that we put big brother to together, then I take ds2 to bed and nurse him to sleep.

- Oh did you look into a hospital grade pump as PP suggested? I originally had the Medela free style and got nothing when I pumped. Then I got the Medela PISA and it worked for me. Everyone is different so worth looking into. I recall seeing it at the hospital for $90/month or $30/ week

HTH
    I do all of these things and more...and still only get 2.5 oz max. Yesterday I went 3 -3.5 hours between pumps because we were out, and I got 3.5 oz in the evening but nothing today. I've made cookies, eat fatty foods that are making me gain weight (grrrrr), squeeze the crap out of my boobs when pumping, take all the pills, and have a symphony. My DD is now wanting 3 oz every 2.5 hours and I am not able to keep up! I am tryingt o give her 2.5 oz so I can stay on pace with her, but I can never be gone more than 2 hours as her milk at home with run out. HTH am I supposed to build a stash for work like this? I am so frustrated with this because I am trying everything I can and nothing works. I power pump every day for 1.5 - 2 hours, and don't see any increase. I'm prolly the only Mom out there who would love an oversupply!!!! Is it normal for it to be this hard or is there something wrong with me? I'm still waiting for my Domperidone to get it and that is my last resort before going to formula as all this is making me crazy and stressing me out majorily. I feel like I'm failing her again...just like I did her older sister.

There's nothing wrong with you, mama. Some mothers do struggle a lot with the pump. Look around the forums and you will find them! And you are absolutely not failing your baby. Hopefully the domperidone will help; and even if you've tried everything and you absolutely can't keep up with her milk needs, you give her a little formula to make up for the difference and breastfeed and/or give her expressed milk the rest of the time. You will not be the only one who has managed to make breastfeeding and a job work by doing this! Don't beat yourself up over it. A pump is not the same as nursing, it's a machine we use when we have to and it works fine for some mothers but not for others. You are working hard and doing great.

Right. Kom1016 nothing about what you are pumping suggests anything close to low supply. Seriously. How can we convince you to change that internal dialogue? Because it's pretty clear that you sort of expect it not to work. But you are making enough milk for your baby. And what you are hearing is women who have gone before you wincing over the internet at a mother who is saying she is short on time, choosing to pump over nurse. When factually EP takes at least twice as long and is at least twice as likely to burn a new mother out. Now I hear your reasons and I feel you. I do. And I am telling you we will support you where ever you land. EPing, EBF or even combo feeding. Because SOME breastmilk is better than none. But PLEASE let go of the idea that you are not making enough milk. You are. You can. And if you get Dome it will be even easier. However don't compare your self to mythical unicorn women who pump 8oz in one session. They obviously have the mythical unicorn babies that STTN. We don't believe on those things around these parts. But we do know it's all supply and demand. And you make enough milk to feed your baby if you demand enough. At this age a baby needs to eat every 1-3 hours. That is just normal. Thing don't usually get easier or less intense until the 8-12 week point. But overall in terms of investment, this times is short. You sound like you really really want to rush this all along to a place where you can schedule. And frankly you just aren't there yet. You have a newborn. She will get there. But she isn't there yet. And your older child, while she absolutely needs you, it's not in the way that a newborn does. It's such a short time in all of your lives that you will have to make these sacrifices for the new baby. She is behaving completely normally. And so are your breasts. You are doing fine. You may never have a huge freezer stash. That is OK.

Way too lazy for formula

What would happen if you just nurse on demand for a day without pumping? I'm wondering if that would help reassure you that you are making enough milk for your baby, because it sounds like you are! It's hard to pump much when you're also nursing the baby. At least for me, if I had tried to pump every 2 hours while still feeding the baby directly, I would've been going crazy, too! Once you go back to work and are apart from the baby all day, it's easier to get larger amounts in a pumping session. I agree with the other ladies that you don't need a huge stash. You just need enough for your first day back. After that, you just need to keep a day ahead. A stash takes off some of the pressure if you have a low output day here and there, but it's not mandatory.

I haven't dealt with an older child and a newborn, so I'm not an expert on the added stresses of that situation, but is there a partner around who can help out with the older one? You are the only one who can nurse or pump, but someone else can do as much as possible for your older child and take some of the weight off of you.