Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping only 1-1.5 oz

Default Re: Pumping only 1-1.5 oz

I am trying to nurse her as much as I can during the day while the nanny is here. She slept all day yesterday and is up and awake today and wanting to nurse all the time. We gave her 2 oz that I had in the fridge, and she sucked it down and wanted more. I was pumping then and I pumped 1 oz only, but then nursed her since she wanted more. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the max I ever get is 3oz and that is only in the morning pump session. How do some women get double digits ounces at a session? 3oz for me is the max I have ever gotten...with most sessions being 1 - 1.5 oz. Sigh...

Some women get double digit output because they have massive oversupply! Honestly, 3 ounces is normal output for one session.

The other thing is, are you doing paced bottle feeding? It is much easier to get milk out of a bottle than a breast, so it is easier for baby to want to drink more from a bottle than he would drink from you.

Moms are so variable in terms of storage capacity and supply. Comparing yourself to other mothers will only drive you crazy. Definitely agree about the paced feeding techniques. Here's some more information: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Give your body some time to settle in. At five weeks you are still establishing a supply, and your body is still getting used to the pump. And your baby is still getting used to nursing and the bottle My own baby was a sleepy nurser who needed lots of encouragement until she kind of "woke up" at around 6-8 weeks.

This is all to say, don't worry--just keep up a good pumping and nursing routine. Your body and baby will start to respond accordingly, and it will be OK!

Thanks everyone. I'm trying as hard as I can but I must admit it is discouraging to only be able to pump enough for her next feeding and then hear her cry for more. I nurse her after she gulps down the 2 oz but she fusses and cries a lot, esp in the evenings. I have been pumping today every 2 hours for 30 mins and power pumped for 1.5 hours and still only got 2oz. I am going to start pumping at night tonight since I am really full then and she only nurses for 5 mins before falling back asleep. I really want to make it at least 3 months without any formula and we are half way there. I don't know what else I can do to increase my supply as nothing seems to be working. Really hoped I could make it work this time around!

I know I made this suggestion before, but I'm going to make it again: though the PISA is in general a good pump, there are some mothers who just don't respond to it. If it's financially feasible, you might want to consider a hospital-grade rental, maybe just for a month or two. An example would be the Medela Symphony. There are a couple moms on here for whom the switch made all the difference.

Thanks I will look into it. One more question...I am pumping during 8-5 about 4 times for 30 minutes and twice in the middle of the night since she only nurses for 5-10 mins and then falls asleep. Do I need to pump during the day on the weekends also it can I just nurse on demand? She nurses for 5-10 mins also every hour or two and then falls asleep. Will this affect my supply if I don't pump on weekends?

Well, since you're struggling a bit with pump output during the week, it might help to do some pumping during the weekend for the time being, perhaps one or two times a day. You'll get a little extra milk into the fridge to serve as a backup in case you don't pump quite enough during your weekday sessions, and you'll give your body that bit of extra stimulation to keep your supply up. If you're able to increase your weekday pump output, you may be able to decrease the weekend pumpings. But there are plenty of moms who do pump outside of normal work hours to be able to meet baby's workday milk needs.

Ok will do. She has become very fussy while nursing now due to OALD I think so I may just have to go to EPing sooner rather than later!

Oh, don't do that! EP'ing is best thought of as a last resort when all else fails. It's so much harder to maintain over the long term. Think about having to pump in public, pump while you have a screaming baby who wants to eat NOW, etc. Have you tried laid-back nursing for the OALD? Here's a picture:http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf. You don't have to be exactly like in the picture - experiment with more or less laid-back positions. Also, babies get much more adept at handling the OALD over time. My babies all sputtered and gasped and choked early on but after a couple months did just fine.