Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD, green poo, teething

Default OALD, green poo, teething

Baby is 12 weeks this week. I have OALD (there's a fountain on my right side when he pops off - literally), and he's teething (all my babies thus far have 2 teeth by 15 weeks).

Yesterday, he had what I would have called "frothy" green poo.

I know that their BMs can range in color, so I'm not overly concerned there. He's gaining and growing well.

But I am wondering if there's anything I can do to help him with the OALD? He's choking less these days, and he seems to drink a LOT at one time - but he only nurses 1 side most nursing sessions. It's at least an hour before I can get him to take ANY from the other side.

Thoughts?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: OALD, green poo, teething

There is lots to do for oald. I personally found that nursing frequently and nursing 'laid back" was the quickest and easiest was to help baby handle the flow. Also sometimes if baby was choking or gagging, I would take baby off, let the milk flow into a cloth, adn put baby back on. It is totally fine for baby to nurse only one side per feeding, in fact, its probably a good idea when there is oald. Are you getting uncomfortably full or is there another reason you want baby to nurse both sides?

I'm not uncomfortable if he only does one side. He's really quick (10 or fewer minutes) when he nurses. I guess I just want to be sure he gets to the hind milk and that the frothy green isn't a result of my OALD and possible too much foremilk...
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I wouldn't worry too much about him getting hindmilk - after all, you say he is growing and gaining well, if that's the case, then clearly he is getting the milk he needs! If everything is otherwise going well, why change things up? Short nursing sessions and one-sided nursing are not unusual in cases of oversupply.

Please do not worry about the hind milk. Fore vs. hindmilk is the biggest non issue to ever worry breastfeeding moms, it drives me bananas that moms are made to worry about this. Even in the rare case it IS a concern, nursing frequently one side at a time if that is what baby prefers is the way to fix it.