Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When and how do you start training lo to use cutlery?

Default When and how do you start training lo to use cutlery?

Hi, my lo is 16 months. We have been doing bls since 6 months. For the past couple of months, I've been trying to let him use some spoons and fork. He is able to successfully put a spoonful of sticky food (steamed pumpkin, etc, as) into his mouth. However sometimes he becomes very fascinated with the spoon/fork that he forgets to eat altogether! Am I doing this too early? When did you start? Any tips on how to go about?

Default Re: When and how do you start training lo to use cutlery?

16 months is a fine time to give your LO some cutlery. Just don't expect him to use it all the time, or to use it perfectly. It's more of a toy at this point than anything else. My 3 year-old still eats with her hands if she's eating something that's difficult to pick up with fork/spoon, and lt night my 7 year-old was eating her macaroni with her hands!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ha! Too true mommal. Both my 4.75 yr old and my 2.5 yr old know how to use utensils, but they often use their hands anyway. We always give them whatever utensils we have - and have since they were first learning how to eat solids, and they choose to use it or not.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I give my 8 month old baby spoons and forks quite regularly. Sometimes she uses them, sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes there's a big mess, sometimes there's not! We are doing BLS too, so I just let her self-feed with utensils as she wishes. Right now, I have been reloading spoons and forks for her, and she's just learning to pick utensils up and bring them to her mouth.