Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Naps are 10 minutes..wants to feed all of the time

Default Naps are 10 minutes..wants to feed all of the time

My baby is 6 weeks old today and she will nurse for 30 minutes, fall asleep frequently during the feeding session, play for maybe 30 minutes and then nap for 10 minutes before wanting to feed again. She used to be content on my breast for 20 minutes but now it seems like she needs more and needs it more frequently. She used to nap after playing but now she'll need food again in about 1 hour. Can you help?
    We are still using a nipple shield and it feels like a pacifier. Yesterday was her first day taking right to the breast but she was fussy all day. Is it possible that giving her the pumped milk from the bottle has encouraged her to not work hard on the breast?

Default Re: Naps are 10 minutes..wants to feed all of the time

Sometimes, she'll change her schedule.. nurse for 40 minutes, play for 10, then want to feed again without a nap. Please help. I'd like to form a routine.

my first thought was the 6 week growth spurt, as this behavior doesn't sound out of the ordinary for that. but yes, absolutely the bottle feeding can make babies less interested in working hard at the breast. it sounds like you're working on weaning from the shield? if she latched wtihout it yesterday that's great! expect some fussiness as she learns she's going to have to work for it - and if this is happening at the same time as her growth spurt, that goes double! nurse on demand, even if that's all the time for a few days, and she'll get it and increase your supply. most babies this age are not in any more of a routine than yours is, so hang in there! most mamas find things get dramatically easier after this 6 week growth spurt.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

sorry, another htought - how is her weight gain? falling asleep at the breast that much might suggest that she's not getting much milk there, especially if she's been on bottles too? bottles - how often/how much/breastmilk or formula?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Also, how does nursing feel for you, when you're doing it without the shield?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is so rough to not have a routine when we so desperately want one. With all three of my children, 8 weeks seemed to be the "light at the end of the tunnel." By no means did we have a routine or SCHEDULE, and babies will still do what they want but it got easier.

I agree with the previous gals - 6 weeks is the hard time b/c it's the peak of the fussy period, growth spurt, etc.

Good luck!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com