Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Super mad baby and problems nursing

Exclamation Super mad baby and problems nursing

Hi guys, My daughter is almost 3 weeks old now. I thought I had mastered breastfeeding after I got over my sore/cracked nipple problem. But now my daughter gets super mad when shes feeding. She'll kick complain (and is super tense with her little hands balled up and clutched tightly to her chest).

I've read that could be a oversupply/forceful let down problem. So I only feed her from one breast (she'll never take the second one anyways) and switch from one to the other for every feeding. But this doesn't seem to solve the problem. I feel like its getting worse. Her complaining turned to red faced screaming and seems inconsolable. Its super heartbreaking. She was 7 lbs 1 oz when she was born and her 1 week check up she was 7lbs 4 oz. She hasn't been weighed since but she having plenty of wet diapers and bowel movements (which are very watery and foamy). today i pumped 3/4 an oz before feeding her to see if that would help and it made my daughter actually feed contently. I also have a problem with her projectile vomiting once a day to every other day. (I'm so sorry this is so long but I'm kind of freaking out) She'll just get super quiet and alert for a while and then vomit super forcefully (she doesn't seem to get upset about this though)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give

Default Re: Super mad baby and problems nursing

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us what symptoms of oversupply and forceful letdowns you're seeing? Aside from the tensing up and crying, is baby doing any of the following:
    - Feeding rapidly (perhaps 5-10 minutes or less)
    - Coughing, spluttering, gagging, or making a "click" or "cluck" sound while nursing
    - Pulling off the breast while nursing
    And are you experiencing any of the following:
    - Frequent feelings of fullness of engorgement
    - Strong letdown sensation, abundant leaking
    - Ability to pump multiple oz of milk with relative ease, if you are pumping
    - If baby pulls off the breast while nursing, you may see milk squirt or stream from the breast
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm curious to read responses, as I'm having almost identical problems with my 3 week old son. Nursing has become really difficult and tense. I've been thinking perhaps its bad gas? He's been coughing, gagging, pulling off breast while nursing... I think I'm having oversupply/forceful letdown issues too. No vomiting, but otherwise identical problems as meganleigh.

And for me, the screaming, kicking and unlatching happens 5-10 minutes into a feeding.

caitlinmaewilson, that sounds exactly like forceful letdown. There is lots you can do. I suggest start with nursing VERY frequently and nursing in a reclined position. Other ideas are in this article: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

ffld is a common issue particularly in these early weeks when baby is learning to nurse and moms production is increasing rapidly. Because the article I linked talks about block nursing, I want to point out that ffld may or may not be linked to overproduction, so be cautious about using block nursing to reduce production to battle ffld. I suggest, do not block feed until baby is a few more weeks older and clear signs of overproduction including very rapid weight gain are present.

5 to 10 minutes in-could baby just be done? Feedings may be quite short when a mom has ffld. What happens if you take baby off, comfort baby, and nurse again a little later?

Thank you lllmeg. I've noticed he nurses a better at night (20 minute feedings every 2 hours, like clockwork), which is when I'm more reclined, so I will consciously recline for day feedings too. As for the pulling away after 5-10 minutes, I have in fact been wondering if he's just done. (Sometimes he goes for 20-30 minutes, so I'm easily tempted to push for that before feeling like he's satisfied.) If I follow his cues and take him off when he fusses, I can actually usually comfort him... I guess I need to listen to my baby more closely

Thanks for the advice!

Mommal, yes my baby does all of that. The gagging, coughing, pulling off and then re latching. Most of the time she feedings are very short. However there are times when she wants to nurses for long stretches. When she does pull off my boob will drip/stream down my body. And my let down kind of hurts I've only tried pumping twice and I didn't pump fully it was just to get a bit out to see if that would help her nurse better. When i did pump in about 3 minutes I had almost an oz. I tried nursing her with us both laying on our sides last night, and today shes been actually pretty calm, I've actually had to force her to wake up to eat and no projectile vomiting today. If it really is a forceful letdown issues will this likely resolve on its own or should i always plan on having to nurse her reclined/laying down?

If this is a FFLD issue, it will probably get better even if you do nothing. Your baby will get bigger and become better able to handle a rapid milk flow. And your supply will likely adjust to be more in line with baby's needs- once you switch out of overproduction mode this problem usually goes away. So think of reclined/side-lying nursing as something you're doing for now, not forever.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"