Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Weaned, Intro to Cow's Milk, (Change in Stool)

Default Pump Weaned, Intro to Cow's Milk, (Change in Stool)

Not sure if I posted this in the right spot, so if I need to move it let me know. Nothing has been easy with this little one.

So I managed to successfully pump wean, but beacause I work full time that means my little one needed a new source of milk. She had no problem drinking cow's milk from a cup for about 4 days. On day 5 she had several loose BMs. At the time I chalked it up to teething and didn't worry about it. Fast forward 2 Weeks. She is now having 5-7 Loose stinky BMs a day. Her bottom is sore and raw, and I am going through diapers like crazy. My question is, Is it normal to see this type of change in stool. I have spoken with her doctor and they are having me try a lactose free milk. We have done that for a few days but so far no change. She is not showing any other symptoms of illness, but I am concerned beacuse she had never had this Many BMs. Not even when she was newborn. Plus, it has shown no signs of changing letting up or stopping.

Default Re: Pump Weaned, Intro to Cow's Milk, (Change in Stool)

How old is your LO, now? She's over a year, right?

It's not normal to see this type of change in the baby's stool and poop patterns. Usually it indicates a gastrointestial bug, but I think that after 2 weeks of this sort of diarrhea, it's a good idea to cut cow's milk out of the equation. If the diarrhea clears up, then that's a good indicator that the cow's milk may have been to blame. You probably also want to push the "BRAT" foods- bananas, rice, apples, and toast- since they're good for firming up the stool.

How many times do you nurse per day? If it's at least 3-5, then baby is probably getting enough "dairy" from you, which means that you don't need to offer animal milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Pump Weaned, Intro to Cow's Milk, (Change in Stool)

Yes she is almost 13 months now. I am only able to nurse twice a day because she will not nurse over night. I have not introduced her to juice of any kind because her pedi does not recommend it. She will drink water through out the day. We are using probiotics twice a day and she is getting mainly cooked chicken, banana applesauce and her baby oatmeal.

Hoping the change to a lactose free milk and cutting out other dairy will help.
    Thank you for the reply.