Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Biting

Default Nipple Biting

Hi,

My baby is now about 17 weeks and we are still doing really well with breastfeeding. We both seem to really enjoy it and the doctor said our baby is growing well at her last appointment yesterday. She is about 14 pounds and a pretty happy baby so I a m thrilled about that!

The problem I am now starting to face is that the last few days she has started this new thing of ( what I assume is ) biting down hard on my nipple with her gums. It hurts really bad when she does it and sometimes she does it and pulls as well because she wants to turn her head at the same time. So far, through the whole breastfeeding experience I have not had any kind of pain or soreness ( other than the clogged ducts I got at the beginning ) and I am not sure at all what if anything I can do about it. She eats already every hour about and this has been her way to not get too much too fast and so I have been ok with feeding her that often if it helps her, so I do not think it is an issue of her trying to stop the flow or anything. ( especially since she tends to do it towards the end of the feed or when she is distracted )

My mother said once we started chewing or biting on her she weaned us from the breast. I would like to breastfeed for at least the first year but not sure I will survive too much of this biting down especially once she gets teeth or starts really teething. So, I was wondering if there is anything I can or should do about this. She doesn't take anything other than the breast, wont even take a pacifier if we try, and unless it becomes an even bigger problem I don't want to worry about pumping and trying to get her used to a bottle.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Nipple Biting

When does baby do the clamp-down thing? When she's actively nursing, getting lots of milk, or at the end of a feeding, when she's mostly done eating, or does it happen when she is distracted by something (a noise, a person walking by, etc.)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So far towards the end of a feed or when she is trying to take a break to look at something, distracted. She hasn't yet done it at the very beginning which I assume is when the flow is the most. Once she lets go or comes off there is no spraying or anything and then she only sometimes takes the breast again. She has short frequent feeds usually and still really likes to nurse for comfort a lot too.

Okay, that indicates that it's not a fast flow issue. A lot of babies clamp in order to control the flow speed.

I'd guess this is simply distraction. You might want to pay closer attention to baby at the end of the feeding- if she seems to be about to clamp, try taking her off the breast, burping her, and then offering the breast again, just in case she's still hungry. If she does clamp, take baby off the breast for a few seconds- hopefully she'll eventually get the picture that clamping results in a pause during which there's no nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, we will try that. It is tough cause we often have this problem even in her dimmed room before nap time, she is such a super super alert baby and notices everything! She is a boob baby though for sure so sounds like a good idea to take it away if she claps, she should figure that out that it is not good, hopefully!