Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: has anyone used the philips AVENT double electric pump???

Default has anyone used the philips AVENT double electric pump???

I am expecting my first baby around August 21, 2013 and cannot decide on a pump. I'm leaning more towards the Philips ADVENT double electric BPA free comfort, because I like the bottles/nipples the most out of any that I've seen. I've been browsing online reading endless reviews on multiple websites for madela(spelling), philips, and amedea. Of course it will be completely up to baby girl on what bottle/nipple combo she likes when I do use a bottle. I plan to EBF, but want to pump as well to have some stored for when I'm away, nights at grandma's, or if I decide to go back to work after my maternity leave is done. I need all the help/opinions I can get at this point. I'm overwhelmed!!

thanks

Default Re: has anyone used the philips AVENT double electric pump??

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! I haven't used that particular pump, but I have used the Avent bottles plenty. I wouldn't worry about matching the pump and the bottles. Even if you use one type of bottle to pump into, that doesn't mean you have to feed baby with that bottle. Also, some bottles are interchangeable between pumps, or you can get adapters that allow a certain bottle to be used with a different pump.

That said, I'm not sure I would even buy a pump at this point if I were you. The reason is, you haven't yet decided whether you are going back to work or not. So at this point it's unclear what your pumping needs actually are. If you just want to pump occasionally for when you're out for a few hours, a manual pump may be all you need. But if you end up going back to work full time, you need a high-quality double electric. And if you end up going back to work part-time, you may be able to make do with a double electric that isn't as high end. Whatever you decide to do, unless there's a medical reason to pump early on, there is usually no need to pump in the early weeks and in fact pumping early on can lead to problems. So you have time to figure things out.

My insurance covers a pump 100%, luckily. So I will be getting one after she is born most definitely. The problem is deciding which one to get. There's tons of different, and mixed feeling reviews on all the pumps that I've been interested in.

Feel free to come back for opinions once you decide what you're going to do work-wise! Does your insurance put any restrictions on which pump you can get?

they cover a single electric pump, if I decide to go back to work and need a double, they will pay what the single pump is worth, and if I get the double I just pay the difference. say a single pump is $140 and a double is $200, I would only have to pay $60 out of pocket.

Got it. Then you definitely don't want to buy a double electric pump until you make the decision about going back to work. A single electric would be fine if you're home and pumping occasionally, but if you're going to be pumping several times a day at work, the double electric is the way to go - otherwise you have to spend twice as much time pumping, and most people are limited in the time they have to pump.

Hi there - Agree with the previous poster 100%. Here's my perspective as a pumping at work mom - I use the avent double electric pump four times a day, at work (it's likely an older model than what you're looking at). It works great for me. I really like being able to vary the speed and pressure with the hand trigger (not sure what it's called) - it helps with letdown. It's fairly quiet and has kept up with me so far. I've had a few drops in supply (due to illness or accidentally missing pumping sessions) and have always been able to get back to my normal. Some of that is the pump and some of that is just me.
    I don't use Avent bottles as my daughter wouldn't take those bottles. We ended up with Born Free bottles and nipples, but it's not a big deal to transfer milk from bottle to bottle.
    Good luck with your decision, and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! Let us know if you have other questions. I've spent a lot of time on here finding great answers!!

I had my baby girl on 8.22.13. I ended up getting the medela double electric pump because my insuramce had two medical suppliers both didnt have single pumps, nor the pump i was hoping for. So they covered the double 100%!!!! I've already had to use it where she didnt empty them very well causing extremely hard spots and engorgement. So far im liking the pump, its a little louder than i thought it would be but does the job!

Congrats on your baby girl!
    How often are you nursing? Pumping can worsen oversupply problems...