Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE READ! Miscarriage, D&C today and BFing

Default PLEASE READ! Miscarriage, D&C today and BFing

Way too many emotions this week...
    Just found I had a miscarriage and I'm scheduled to have a D&C done in 3 hours.

I'm still bfing in the evenings and on demand on weekends. Can I still bf after the D&C?

I'm so sad...

Default Re: PLEASE READ! Miscarriage, D&C today and BFing

I am so sorry. I'm guessing you can nurse following the D&C (I've nursed following surgery with general anesthesia), but you may want to ask what medications will be used so you can double-check.

Yes, and make it very clear to them that you are breastfeeding and that you will continue. Be pushy about it because some docs/nurses will blow you off and say no you can't nurse when they don't actually know for sure what to tell you about whether nursing is safe.

I'm so sorry for your loss, mama. Many hugs to you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thank you ladies.

Done with I&C. I did asked (pretty much very nurse and my doctor) and she change the antibiotics I need to take but they told me that since it was general anesthesia I had to stop for at least 12 hrs. And definitely don't bf tonight.

They told me to pump and dump the next 12hrs at least. I stopped pumping about a mont ago, and I was really hoping not to take it out :-/

Anyway... What a roller coaster ride!

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I am so very sorry for your loss, and very sorry I did not see your post earlier. For anyone else who is going through something like this, it is usually considered safe to nurse post general surgery as soon as the anesthesia wears off (you are awake and alert.) Not nursing or pumping and dumping for 12 hours or any other prescribed length of time is NOT NECCESARY. I had a D&C due to a miscarriage when my son was about 22 months old and still nursing several times a day. He came into the recovery room with my husband after the procedure and we nursed right there.

Please see: http://www.llli.org/docs/555.pdf

Please see: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tionsandbf.pdf

I did not see your post until now lllmeg, thank you.
    I pumped and dumped las night and this morning... The baby just wants to be with me and has been crying. My mom is here (hubby had to work today) and she was able to distract her.

I guess I can bf her for her nap around noon then, I was worried! I was very very sleepy last night, so I guess it was a good move to dump that one since I wasn't completely alert.

I am considering getting back to birth control. I do not want to go over this again. I know birth control won't avoid that, but at less we can plan a little better and be ready for good news and bad news. It all happened so fast. We weren't planning on another baby for at least a year more. One day I found I was pregnant and the next I wasn't anymore. Crazy.

Anyway, thank y'all. I think I'll be ok. It was really early, about 5 weeks.