Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Currently pump weaning

Default Currently pump weaning

Okay, so this whole pump weaning thing is so unnatural for me since I have been obessed with my supply for the last year and it makes me very nervous. DD will be a year on Wednesday and I need and want to stop pumping during the day. Prior to my weaning I pumped at the following times and got the following amounts: Nursed at 5:30am, pumped 2oz at 7:30am, pumped 3-4oz at 10:30, pumped 3-4oz at 2:00pm, nursed upon returning home at 5, nursed baby to sleep at 7:30-8pm, and nursed as needed throughout the night. Prior to pump weaning DD was pretty much sleeping through the night entirely w/o waking at all till morning for a little over a week. Now that I'm pump weaning she has been waking at least once sometimes twice during the night. This week I've dropped the 7:30am pump and changed the other two pumps to 9:30am and 2:30am. So I've basically gone from pumping approximately every 3 hours (other than the first which is 2 hours after 1st nursing session of the day) to pumping every 5 hours. The first day my breasts didn't feel uncomfortable full but I did sense something different about the way the felt especially after work right before I nurse baby. From the second day on I don't feel a thing. Definitely not any uncomfortableness at all. Now in the 2 sessions of pumping I'm getting about 4oz or so. This seems too easy. Next week I planned on going to 1 pump a day right before or around lunchtime. Could DD be waking more often again because my pump weaning is so successful and my supply is dropping altogether? I think she may have also triggered my supply to decrease last week during our extended weekend due to not wanting to nurse as often or as long as she used to. I'm just so afraid of losing the only tool I have to get her to sleep at night. She is usually wide awake around bedtime until I take her into the bedroom and start nursing her. And the only way I have known to get her to sleep again in the middle of the night is nursing. Everybody thinks we're going to be completly done nursing once she turns a year and tries to give me tips on how to get her to sleep without it (i.e. holding her close and giving her a bottle). Granted this is coming from people with formula feed babies so they don't realize that it is just as much if not more trouble for me to get up in the middle of the night to get a bottle ready and give it to the baby. I can at least rest my eyes while she nurses with her cradled safely in my arms versus having to hold a bottle to her mouth. I'm also worried about whether or not she likes cow's milk but from other posts it sounds like if I continue our 3 normal nursing sessions during the week and on demand on the weekends she should be fine with other added dairy. This whole concept just makes me nervous because it goes against everything I've been doing for the past year. I guess I just need some assurance that DD will be fine with whatever supply I have left after the pump weaning and that I am going about it the right way. Sorry I rambled!
    ~Chrissy~

First time mother to Avery Grace 7/17/2012

Default Re: Currently pump weaning

you will be fine! i totally get how hard it is to switch mentality from the supply-obsession mode. she will continue to nurse. her night-wakings might or might not be related to the pump weaning; it's also about time she's teething, which often causes a lot of night-waking. it sounds like you're doing everything right. just keep letting her nurse on demand when you're together and all will be well.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I had all the same thoughts as auderey reading your post. It sounds like you are going about it just the right way. Remember that the whole nursing-to-sleep thing at this age is much more about the comfort of sucking and being close to mommy's nice, warm, familiar body than it is about the calories. It's also really normal for mom to have a hard time letting go of pumping, perverse though that is! But really, it does work!

Alright, so it's official....I'm not nuts for having a hard time letting go of the annoying pump. I was beginning to think I was losing it . I am a little tired of all the nay sayers thinking that I can simply give my DD a bottle at night and in the middle of the night and just "hold her close like you would if you were nursing her" so she gets the same closeness without having to breastfeed anymore. Why would I want to get up and do all that when it would just be easier and more relaxing for me to just nurse her. People don't understand that it is about more than the milk. I know they can't understand this because they have all never breastfed a baby and if so they only did for a short time or until they no longer wanted to, not the baby. My fiance was also pressuring me about weaning at 1 but I came up with an idea after reading a Dr. Sears article in which he even suggests telling people that the peditirian recommends extended breastfeeding due to most brain growth in the 1st 2 years and BM being so good for brain growth.
    ~Chrissy~

Did you see this thread? It has links to an article about the effect of breastfeeding on brain growth. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-make-the-news

Just wait until life after pump weaning! You get all the enjoyable parts of nursing without the pain of pumping. If you've made it this far, it actually doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wean now - I mean nursing is such an easy, natural part of your life now, right? But you're right, I think it would be hard to understand if you haven't done it. Ultimately, however, it's up to you and your baby. Although I agree with getting your fiance on board too.

[QUOTE=@llli*bfwmomof3;1318553]Did you see this thread? It has links to an article about the effect of breastfeeding on brain growth. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-make-the-news

Yeah, I did see this one but I doesn't say anything about the benefits extended breastfeeding has on brain growth in the first two years. I'm looking for something like that. This one just leads one to believe that breasfeeding for any amount of time (i.e. a couple months, the first year, etc.) contributes to the increased brain growth.

Now that I can use the don't offer, don't refuse method and DD isn't nursing quite as often he will be okay with it. Right now to him it always seems to affect our plans since I've been making sure she doesn't ever go too long throughout the day without nursing. He has felt like we are always making our plans based on when she will probably nurse again. She hasn't been a good candidate for public nursing for a long time now. He doesn't really see nursing the way I do either even though I've continuously tried to explain it to him. I think he basically has seen me as her food source for the past year. Again we go back to the "it's hard to understand unless you have done it before". I think that if I can tell him that the doctor recommends nursing until baby naturally weans if at all possible and get him to understand that weaning at 1 is only for people who can't wait to stop nursing or have to medically everything will be less stressful.
    ~Chrissy~

Well, I think a really nice thing about baby turning 1 is that you have more flexibility. Since you're not depending on nursing as your sole source of nutrition, you don't have to worry so much about when baby next wants to nurse, you know? Anyway, my baby (toddler!) loves being out and about. That's not to say that she never wants to nurse when she's out, and if it's convenient (for either me or her! - sometimes nursing is a great way to calm down a fussy baby - such as when she's making a ruckus in a restaurant or an airplane) I'll go ahead and nurse her, but if it's not convenient for whatever reason, at this point (16 months) I can usually distract her into forgetting about nursing. If she's hungry or thirsty, offering her a snack (which she loves, I call her my snack-a-holic) or some water. Or you could give some cow's milk, if you've introduced it and baby likes it. Also, my experience is that baby actually becomes LESS distractible when nursing after the one-year point, and therefore easier to nurse in public.

The post-1year mark is sounding so much less stressful! Thanks for sharing your experience and tips! I just want to do what's best and the least stressful for her. I don't want to rip away something that so has become so used to since birth. I just need my family to understand it better.
    ~Chrissy~

you're welcome to tell your dh that nursing is what kept my 17 month old out of the hospital for 5 days of parainfluenza (before he finally got so congested we did spend 2 nights there). so says me and the ER nurse. i'd say that's a pretty good medical reason to continue.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I EP'd my DD's first year and when I went back to work I kept panicking about not be able to pump my usual sched. Then when I stopped pumping all together at first I was excited to not pump anymore, I think I did a little dance (I wanted to burn that pump when I was done). I think I went 2 days, changed my mind and started pumping again. This went on for about a month, lol. Once you are in that obssession mode it is very hard to let it go.