Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best baby carrier for convenient BF?

Default Best baby carrier for convenient BF?

I'm am currently 7 months pregnant with my first little baby boy. I am very excited about breastfeeding and have done my research :-)

I'm working on gathering the things I need to have ready for a newborn. One thing on my list is a baby carrier. I want to make sure I get a carrier that is convenient for BF. Either BF while baby is in the carrier or a carrier where baby is easily removed/replaced for BF sessions. Any suggestions from moms with experience? I'm looking at something that would work for a newborn.

Thank you.

Default Re: Best baby carrier for convenient BF?

I'd love to hear some of these responses, too. I've nursed my babies in the Balboa sling a bit and have attempted it with the Bjorn, but it looks like maybe a ring sling or the Ergo is better?

I own a ring sling and an Ergo, and I never got the hang of doing a cradle-style nursing in the ring sling. The Ergo, however, has been much easier to use, IMO. I didn't really start using it until after 6 weeks PP (I had a C-section, so the waist strap would have been over my incision), so I can't really say how easy it is to nurse a newborn in it. Since then, though, I've found it really easy to nurse in the Ergo. They are expensive, but I have found it to be worth it!

Cool Re: Best baby carrier for convenient BF?

I have used the Ergo and the Moby. The moby has a particular hold that works for feeding, but I found it a little awkward. The Ergo is really good for public feedings. I end up holding my arm up to lift my breast because my torso is so short and he is so long that his head and my breast don't exactly meet in the upright nursing position, but it works.

Just curious how you ladies nurse in the Ergo? I have one and a 10 week old baby, and cant figure it out? I'm thinking maybe I have it too tight? This would totally save me sanity if I could figure it out, lol.

I always needed to drop the shoulder strap a little on the side I was nursing on, and use my hand to bring up the breast to her mouth. Once she's latched I can usually let go, but sometimes I still need to support things with my one hand. Still allows us to nurse on the go, and with at least one hand free!

Ring sling! You can nurse in just about any type of carrier, but I find a ring sling is easiest. Sleeping Baby Productions has super affordable slings, that are highly recommended by many. I personally use a Maya Wrap ring sling, as they're available on Amazon.

Is there a babywearing group near you? If so they may have a lending library, let you try out a few different styles before purchasing.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Thanks guys, that is very helpful!