Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding Only One Side at a Time

Default Feeding Only One Side at a Time

Hi All,

I am EBF my 7 week old son, and we are doing pretty well with it. For the last week or so he is usually satisfied after nursing on one side only. If I offer him the other side, he usually will eat for a few minutes but seems fussy while he is doing it, like he would like to suck but not necessarily to continue feeding. He also is more likely to spit up immediately after if he feeds on both sides. I have pumped the other side as well and got ~4oz in less than 10 minutes, so I know there is plenty of milk in one breast! For these reasons I have been offering just the one side and then feeding on the other side at the next feeding. He usually feeds approximately every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night (sometimes more frequently). So I could be going ~6-8 hours without feeding off of one breast and only feeding about 4 times/day on each breast. I worry that is too long? I was getting to be extremely full and very hard between the feeds but this seems to be getting less noticeable. Occasionally at the beginning of a feeding he will gulp so loud he is almost gasping, and he has sounded like he chokes on the milk as well. This isn't every time, but has happened! I just don't want any issues to arise out of not emptying the breast frequently enough! Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*kasr1209; July 11th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.

Default Re: Feeding Only One Side at a Time

My baby (now almost 11 months) has almost never taken both breasts in one feeding her entire life so far! It sounds to me like you've got a lot of milk (the pump output, the feeling full) and a fast letdown, so offering a single breast more frequently might help with things. I honestly have never counted how many times a day my baby feeds, or how long I go between using this breast or that one (although I don't think I've ever gone much longer than 2 hours without offering). So instead of offering both breasts at one feeding every 3 hours, maybe try offering one breast every 2 hours or more frequently. At this age, I think they say that babies should eat 8-10 times in a 24 hour period, so you might be a little short of this currently. Offering more often definitely can't hurt!

Also, if he just seems like he needs to suck but doesn't want to eat, I think you can keep him on the same breast. It's probably something you'll have to play around with in terms of seeing how full you get - watch your baby and your breasts, not necessarily the clock! Hope this helps

Thank you for your input! I will add that he definitely is feeding on demand and I'm not trying to space out feedings, just guessing on the time estimates (time is a funny concept these days!)

I agree with Carm3 - offering a single breast per feeding and offering more often. Nursing can be baby's idea, or mom's if you're feeling full I always approached it that way. If they're not hungry, they won't eat... if they do, then they help you out and you feel more comfortable!

For what it's worth, what you are describing sounds so similar to the first few months with my LO. I had a generous supply, LO would eat only one side per feeding and refuse the other (but gained very well), sometimes he would gulp/gasp/cough at let-down. It was just a lot of milk for him in the beginning. He did grow into it though -- I would say by about 2-3 months, he was a nursing pro, and my supply synced up with him better. I realize now that I had a slight oversupply. Nursing one side per feeding with frequent meals (we probably did every 1.5-2 hrs) helped us get into a good rhythm that was more physically comfortable for me. And at around 8 months old, he just seemed hungrier and started taking both sides at a feeding - so you never know when your LO might suddenly want both sides for his meal