Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: preparing to breastfeed for 2nd time

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default preparing to breastfeed for 2nd time

I'm due to have my 2nd little one in about 2 weeks or so and I'm planning on breastfeeding her just as I did with my 1st. With my 1st, my nipples got extremely sore even to the point to where they were cracked and bleeding it was so painful I would be in tears as he would start to feed. I didn't think I would be able to continue but I was determined that my baby would have the best no matter what the cost, so I stuck with it and probably by the 2nd week it was a piece of cake my nipples didn't hurt anymore and it was great. So, I'm hoping that the 2nd time around will not be like that or at least to where my nipples don't bleed. I'm gonna make sure that she is latching on right and that I keep my nipples saturated in lanolin. By the way, I stuck with it with my 1st for 15 months and even then I wanted to keep going but he was kinda weening his self and he was also starting to bite, so I figured it was time to stop because I still needed both my nipples for the 2nd one

Default Re: preparing to breastfeed for 2nd time

Congratulations! I hope the birth is a great experience. Keep us posted and come back for any advice. I was pretty sore with my second, but I think that it wasn't bad because I knew what to expect. Best wishes!

I found the second time easier, since I know more, and knew more what to look for in terms of problems. I still got sore, but it wasn't too bad, and the lanolin was absolutely my best friend!!!

Congrats on your new baby!!!!

With my second baby, I didn't even need the $10 tube of lanolin I bought. Since I knew what I was doing, it was a lot easier to get baby started right...plus, #2 was a nursing champ from the first try.

I'm sure thing will go really well for you right from the start.

First of all, congratulations and best of luck on your new arrival. How exciting!!! I congratulate you for getting 15 months with your first LO. That's amazing! I only lasted 3 1/2 months with my first DD, so I am also hoping for a better experience this time around...so far so good.

I had the same pain & sore nipples the second time around. I would say definitely take advantage of the LC offered at the hospital. Also, have you attended any LLL meetings yet?

Sounds like you did great the first time and I bet you'll be better this time around.

Good luck to you!!

I just had a baby three weeks ago, so I have some pretty current thoughts on this subject . . .

I was just as sore this time around as I was with my first, even though I had nursed him for 22 months. My new baby Colton has always had a perfect latch -- he latched right on at birth and nursed like he was several months old -- but I still got very chapped nipples. In fact, they peeled, despite me using Nipple Butter and Lansinoh in conjunction with cloth and wool nursing pads. But I have very sensitive skin anyway, so I suspect that unless I was still nursing my older child by delivery, I probably would have gotten sore anyway. I was very careful to watch for any laziness on Colton's or my part to head off any latch problems early.

The difference was that I a) knew the soreness would be short-lived and b) that it did go away in a week, which it didn't with my first baby; but this time, I knew that if I was still sore in a week, there was a problem. I also knew that it should only be sore for about 30 seconds when the baby first latches on, and if it continued to hurt after that, that I should take the baby off and try again . . . and I wasn't afraid to do that, like I was sometimes with my first, after having tried so hard to get him on.

My midwife also pointed out that as second/third time moms, we know where to find resources to help us and we recognize problems sooner, unlike when we had our first babies. So far, that has been true for me, and I'm sure your experience will help you too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm preping myself that my nipples will be sore again but that it will only last that way for about a week or so and then they will be all healed up and lo and I will be off to a good start. I CAN DO THIS!!! I stuck with it with my 1st lo I can do it again!

Hello again!
    I remember reading the directions that came with the lansinoh after I had my second dd (I read everything ) and it said that you can use the lansinoh in the third trimester to condition the skin (nipples) before beginning to breastfeed. Maybe this would help? Good luck!!