Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here and needing some advice. Bloody stool.

Default New here and needing some advice. Bloody stool.

DD is 7 weeks old, and for the last 2 1/2 weeks has been having some green mucousy stools, some with small spots or streaks of blood in them. I've cut out all soy & dairy from my diet per Drs recommendation. It just doesn't make sense to me that its a milk/soy protein intolerance. She's never had any kind of rash and there's no family history on either side of milk or soy allergies. My gut is telling me its a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I do have a strong let down, especially when my breasts are more full. She produces 8-10 poopy diapers a day, and the morning diapers are usually a normal yellow color. It isn't until the afternoon that she's more gassy & passing the green mucousy stools with small amounts of blood. Has anyone had an experience similar to this? I'm just so ready to get my little girl all healed up & happy!!! What else can I do to help her?

Default Re: New here and needing some advice. Bloody stool.

I forgot to add that she's gaining weight at a good rate too. She was 8lbs 7oz at birth, and is now 11lbs 6oz.

Default Re: New here and needing some advice. Bloody stool.

Welcome to the forum!

I think you are right to be skeptical about the doc's "cut all milk and soy" advice. Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance from milk oversupply is much more common than allergy, and can cause similar symptoms, including green and bloody poops. I'm not entirely sure about the mucus- some people seem to think that's a sign of allergy rather than oversupply, but I have never seen good evidence that mucus excludes oversupply.

What symptoms of imbalance/oversupply do you have at this point? Some of the things you might see include:
    - mom has frequent feelings of fullness or engorgement
    - mom experiences frequent leaking
    - mom can pump multiple oz of milk with ease, if she is pumping
    - baby struggles with letdown- coughing, spluttering, gagging, producing a "click" or "cluck" sound
    - baby frequently pulls off the breast
    - if baby pulls off the breast during letdown, mom may observe milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - baby may feed rapidly, often in as little as 5-10 minutes
    - baby may require just 1 breast per feeding
    - baby may appear to dislike nursing, especially "comfort" nursing

Since you've cut dairy and soy, this might present an opportunity for you. Reintroduce one or the other, and then spend the next few days watching baby's poops. If there's no change, then whatever is causing the green and bloody poops, it's probably not what you ate. Then repeat the process with the other food group, see if you can eliminate that.

In my personal opinion, green/bloody poops just aren't a big deal when the baby is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing normally. My second kid had them for months, and she grew and developed just fine. (She had to cope with a big oversupply, and also probably had some allergy components- she was allergic to egg white at around 10 months.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"