Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only lactating from right breast :( Help!

Default Only lactating from right breast :( Help!

I've been breastfeeding my 11 month old since birth and until the past 2-3 weeks things were fine. My right breast always produced more than the left (this was true even with my older son who was breastfed until 15 months) but both produced a good amount and my son was doing great. Recently I noticed that my left breast was producing VERY little milk-- as in, I pump for an hour and the bottom of the bottle is barely covered. My baby had been favoring the right side and I guess I fed him mostly on that side without even realizing. Now I try to put him on the left side to stimulate it to come back but he gets fed up after only a few seconds bc no milk is coming out. My left breast is now a AA and my right is a full C. It's embarrassing and I suspect the right is producing even more milk to compensate for the left. What can I do? Is it too late to get the supply back in the left breast?? I try to pump but with a preschooler and a crawling baby it's so hard to find the time to sit down to do it. Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!

Default Re: Only lactating from right breast :( Help!

Welcome to the forum!

It's not too late to get supply back on the underachieving side. It's just going to take some work, maybe more than you want to do...? In order to boost supply, just keep on doing what you're doing- try to get the baby to nurse from that side and pump that side whenever you can. Ideally, you'd pump regularly using a high-quality electric pump with correctly sized shields, but work with what you've got. When it comes to rebuilding supply, every pump opportunity you have counts, regardless of whether that means pumping 10 times a day or 3 times a day.