Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly losing my supply

Default Suddenly losing my supply

So 7 weeks ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy and from the first time he latched, breastfeeding has been a breeze. My son latches well, eats wonderfully and my supply was perfect.

Well last week I started noticing my breasts did not feel as full, my son was getting very grumpy while latching, he would have difficulty latching on and then half way through eating get very upset and start fussing and spitting out the nipple. I use to have issues of my breast leaking and getting engorged if he had a bottle while I left him with someone for a bit. Now when I pump in between feedings I don't get anything or at the very most, maybe 1/2 an oz.

I have also started having discomfort in both breasts after and in between feedings. the pain is all over, so I don't believe it is a clogged duct.

I started drinking mothers milk tea, got some fenugreek supplements and Im going to try to make some lactation cookies this afternoon. Hoping this will help.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what could cause it? I'm wondering if I shouldn't call my doctor.

Thanks so much

Default Re: Suddenly losing my supply

It's common for moms to have a relative oversupply early on - nature's way of making sure baby has enough. Then, supply regulates over time to more closely match baby's demand. Mom may notice less full, softer breasts, less leaking etc. And, since supply is closely matched to demand, if you pump in between feedings (rather than replacing a feeding), you may not get much pump output. So that all actually sounds quite normal, they key is whether baby is still having plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight on track. Baby being fussy or acting funny at the breast can happen and does not necessarily indicate anything about supply.

On the other hand, discomfort in the breasts is NOT normal and it definitely needs to be figured out what is going on. It sounds like it's not DURING feedings, is that right? So unlikely to be a latch problem? This goes through a list of possible causes:

Clogged ducts can lead to a more generalized pain; thrush is a possibility; there are additional ideas listed in the article. May not be a bad idea to have it checked out if the discomfort persists and it's not obvious what is causing it.

my LLO is 8 months 3 weeks old and has been really short at the breast lately maybe nursing only 5-8 minutes on one side and then wanting to go explore. I've noticed when I pump it is a lot less. My morning pump before leaving the house was 10 oz now it is 6oz. The first pump at work was 5 oz now 3.5 and when I was getting 3 - 3.5 oz the other 2 pumps at work I am now only getting 2 oz in total. I am afraid he will go through the bags faster than I can pump enough to supply my care giver and don't want to have to supplement is there anything I can do to increase my milk? Please help

Thanks in Advance for any feedback!

California, USA

So you're getting roughly 13.5 oz a day now, right? How long is your separation from LO? Assuming 10 hoirs, a baby will need between 10 and 15 oz so you're right in the middle. It seems like you were over producing before and perhaps baby is being over fed while you're gone? Babies usually take between 1 and 1.5 oz of milk per hour of separtion.

Are you familiar with paced bottle feeding?

Babies also get to be more efficient nursers as they get older so maybe hes getting all the milk he needs in his short sessions? Is diaper out put and weight gain still okay?