Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Distractable phase?

Default Distractable phase?

Is it normal for a 7 month old to be really, really, really distracted when trying to nurse during the day (even in her normal favorite locations/positions)? Things were going great, and then it was like all of a sudden baby really only wants to nurse for bed and in the middle of the night. The rest of the times during the day it seems like she really wants to eat but she is just too excited about life. Wondering if this phase passes? I don't think anything about me/supply/etc has changed...I think she's the one changing!
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Distractable phase?

Yup, totally normal. Baby will be too distracted by the exciting world around her to nurse much during the day, only to make up for it by nursing a lot at night. Fine for her, tiring for mom! You can try decreasing distractions during the day (quiet, dark, boring room) but that's harder to do with a big sister around, in my experience. And try to get good sessions in going down for nap and bedtime. Then after they hit a year they tend to go through a "nursing like a newborn" stage again.

I have found that with my 8 month old, nursing has been going better when she is distracted if I get down on the floor with her and nurse while she is playing. So we'll just do sidelying in the living room while she holds a toy, or whatever. My baby used to be a back and forth between both breasts at each feeding kind of girl, and now she almost never wants to spend more than a couple of minutes on just one side! Her sessions are shorter, but more frequent, than ever.

Thanks! We've been doing the lying on the floor thing with toys also, and she totally surprised me today by nursing great outside at a friend's house with tons of people running around. Who knew! I think I'll try to just offer whenever and wherever and hope for the best. I feel like if she was really hungry enough she'd eat, and today she did.

We're coming up on seven months and this has started. Even if there is nothing interesting around he'll stop and distract himself! Our nursing sessions are taking longer and longer due to his distraction pauses. Or he'll nurse for a bit, insist he is done, and twenty minutes later he's all "oh you were right, I was still hungry". Ah well.

The mornings are the absolute worst for us with what you're describing...baby acts like she's done nursing then changes her mind, back and forth. My baby acts hungry all morning and is cranky, but no matter how many times I offer she won't eat until nap time! It stinks for her, I'm sure, she wants to play and be where the action is but she just can't concentrate enough to do both (eat and be distracted). Then nap time comes and she eats and eats. She gets up at 5:30am every day and isn't really happy until after her nap.

We're also in the midst of the 7 month distractable phase and it's very frustrating. Nursing has become a series of unending short snacks coupled with fretful crying when he realizes he's still hungry. I actually feel like this is worse than the newborn phase where you have to be constantly accessible. I feel like I am held hostage at home on nights and weekends because I can't breastfeed a "snacker" out in public. And he also wants to make up for lost ground at night when ALL I want is at least 3 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Is there a point where this has improved for anyone?

The only improvement I have seen is if I get in 1 extra really good feeding per day. Monday night was pretty tough, she ate all night long because she wouldn't feed well. Yesterday did much better and had one extra good feeding and noticed a big difference in sleep at night (we bedshare), she wasn't as restless and seemed much happier this morning, like she got a good night sleep. Again today, doing better, with the sitting up beside me nursing position that I posted about in the other distractable thread.

Just a thought for connectikate, what I have found also works is that we go out every morning (I know you work during the week, I'm at home). My baby loves to go out, ride in the car, shop, park, etc. She gets a lot of stimulation, and then she will usually have a good meal about 3.5-4 hours after she starts nap at 8am (nurse to sleep). I notice if we just hang out here for the whole day she doesn't seem to nurse quite as much because home is more boring for her. I think she eats better after an outing, almost like she needs a break. My older daughter was the same way, she wasn't really happy at this stage if we just hung out at home all day. Now no problem (she's 3).