Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two questions

Default Two questions

Hi moms,

I have two questions. First, a little background. I plan on continuing my nursing relationship with my DS for as long as he and I want to go - definitely until at least 2 yaers old. He is now 9 months and everything is going fine, in the middle of a growth spurt as of his last checkup where he jumped off the charts up to 18.2. He is eating solids twice per day plus some snacks (OG veggie puffs). I work full time and he stays home with DH. He nurses on demand morning, evening and through the night. It really varies as to how much at night and since he sleeps with us I honestly can't tell you how many dream feeds!
    Question 1: When introducing more dairy, I'm inclined to skip whole milk until he truly shows signs of weaning, because I can't see the point since mom's milk is nutritionally better. Also, I don't want to speed up weaning. Is there anyone else who has done this and everything worked out fine? So far he has tried organic whole milk yogurt and I'll try some hard cheeses maybe next month (this month we're working on other veggies and maybe some beans).
    Question 2: He takes three bottles totalling 12 oz while I'm gone of expressed milk. He has been playing with a sippy cup but has not mastered how to use it yet. Any tips? I've only added water. I don't want to do juice (but once I tried watered down juice of cherries letover from cooking them for his food) and I don't want to waste a precious drop of breastmilk if he's going to spill it. It's just I can't imagine how he's going to get off bottles to cups by one year as recommended. Though his developmental leaps so far have surprised me

Thanks for the tips!

Default Re: Two questions

1. No need to use cow's milk unless you want to. Your LO can get all his needs for "dairy" met by you, provided you nurse at least 3-5 times a day, or by whole milk cheeses and yogurts. That being said, offering cow's milk in a bottle or sippy doesn't seem to have much impact on duration of nursing, since it is much, much less delicious than breastmilk and comes in a much less interesting container. If you do decide to use animal milk, it should be introduced only once baby is >1 year.

2. Don't worry about it. Just keep offering the sippy. Your LO will get the hang of it, probably witching the next few months. And while weaning from the bottle "by a year" is recommended, success at getting kids off the bottle varies a lot. If your LO still has a couple bottles per day at 12 months, or 18 months, or 2 years... Trust me, he won't be the only one!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've actually always thought of it as getting baby off the bottle at a year - ie, starting at a year. Once they are developmentally ready for cups it goes quickly. But that isn't usually until a year or a bit after - I mean before a year, at least as far as I've observed with my kids, the cup was more an object to play with and throw around; it wasn't until after a year that they would reliably drink from it. Not to say that you shouldn't give it to them before a year because somewhere in that playing and throwing it around they may actually drink a sip or two from it - that's how they start learning! But I put water in there. However, my LO who is 16 months now has been reliably drinking EBM from a sippy cup for the last three months or so.

Thanks. It is good to hear we can ease up on the sippy cup transition and not worry about pushing it so much. It is definitely a toy for him now to shake and laugh. And since he still nurses at least 7 times during the day and once or twice overnight I think he'll be that way well into his first year, meeting his calcium needs.
    One other thing:
    My pediatrician mentioned something before about solids starting to replace breastfeeding at 10 months, but I assume this was based on weaning at a year which we aren't planning on doing. I'm not worrying about dropping my pumping sessions yet or reducing his bottle. I figure we'll start to see if he'll eat solids once more per day in the next few months and if that means one less ounce in a bottle or two, slowly, I think that is okay. I could maybe post this question in the working moms forum...

Yeah, I think it's sort of the same concept as the sippy cup. If you're committed to breastfeeding past a year you can get serious about the solids _starting_ at a year. Of course, you introduce before so they start getting experience with it, and at a year you start working on moving towards three meals a day and snacks, although of course that doesn't happen all at once. Nevertheless many mothers pump wean at work at a year or thereabouts - so you ramp up the solids at the same time as you back down on the pumping, if that makes sense. Different mothers have different comfort levels in terms of how fast to go with the pump weaning.

Most people, including most pediatricians, assume that all moms are so desperate to be done with the horrible experience of breastfeeding that they will wean on day 365 of baby's life, and not one moment later! So all the advice about solids and bottles is really tailored for the mom who is going to be completely done by a year, and not the mom who is only starting to wean at a year.

As your LO gets closer to a year, solids may start to play a bigger role in his diet- or that may not happen until he's over a year. So if your LO's 10th month comes and goes without him suddenly eating more solids, don't worry. There's really nothing magical that happens at 10 months!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"