Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven supply

Default Uneven supply

Hi ladies!

This is my second time nursing. I BF'd my first daughter for 13.5 months with just a few hiccups along the way. This daughter took to nursing straight away and we haven't really has issues. My question is about supply and whether I should worry about drying up on one side. My left side has always produced more than my right. I know this is normal. With DD1, she would nurse on each side and was always a very slow nurser. I knew the right produced less, but she still nursed on both sides at each feeding.

DD2 is another story. If she starts on my right (low producer ), she will also nurse on the left that session. If she starts on the left, she usually is uninterested in the right. Also, she doesn't usually nurse for long on the right, I think because she gets mad that there isn't as much coming out as fast. And a while ago she refused to even start nursing on the right. But when I moved her to the left side she was happy and ate.

Also, this am I pumped and got 4.5oz on the left side and less than .5oz on the right. I've never been able to pump much but I usually get 3oz on the left and 1 on the right.

Is this something I can correct or do I need to even worry about it? I know some women successfully nurse their babies just using one breast, but I used both with DD1 so I'm a little concerned.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Uneven supply

This link covers lopsidedness and what to do about it: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/. Basically, you want to increase stimulation to and milk removal from the underperforming breast, and decrease stimulation to the overachiever. You could try offering the left side first at every feed, or at most feeds, and see if that earns you an upswing in supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You just described me exactly!

We're at 7 months now, this started at 2 months. I almost gave up on the right side, there was one point where she didn't nurse it for 2 days, in spite of me trying everything in that link on lopsidedness. I looked up info about unilateral nursing moms and decided I could live with it. There was about 4oz per day that I could pump out of the right at that point. But then for whatever reason she changed her mind! This was about a month ago. Now she takes both breasts, I noticed if I do compressions with the right she is more interested. During those 4 months of almost complete refusal, I felt like it was putting stress on our relationship. For a few weeks I just pumped it and it gave her a break.

I'd say as long as your baby is healthy and gaining well and happy then not to worry. If you don't want to look very noticeably lopsided you might need to pump if it's really "drying up". An IBCLC I know said that pumping just once a day will keep it from drying up completely. If you want to let it dry up, totally up to you, but I did post on this before and both the IBCLC and the forum administrator said that they thought it should be fine as long as all else is going well with growth.

My baby has always been fine with weight after the 2 month mark, in spite of some inital difficulties, so I knew that I could nourish her completely from the left side...since I did for several months.

Good luck!!
    and Mama to two little girls

I also know another mom who went through this and went on to nurse past 2 years. She told me that trying to offer that right breast caused a lot of grief and her son started to get upset and refuse to feed period at the 8 month mark. She finally stopped offering the right side and things went just fine. She told me that now occasionally he will pat her on the right side, then take one sip and say "yuck"! I think babies are incredibly smart and they do things for a reason. It might be the flow, the nipple shape, it could be many things. I think both of those were my issue.
    and Mama to two little girls

I have always had uneven production. It got worse though around 7-8 months when my son got more opinionated about his side preference and made the situation even more lopsided ... it went from like a 2:1 ratio to a 4:1 ratio. It wasn't a nutrition situation so much as a cosmetic one ... I didn't like having a 2 cup size difference between them! So I began to consistently start feedings on the lesser producing side (right), then finish him on the overproducer (left). So the right side is appetizer boob, the left side is the entree I also offered more of the night feeds on the underproducing side, since he was/is far less preferential at night and will just nurse wherever I put him if he's sleepy enough! After a month or two of this, I was able to get appetizer boob producing a little more -- still uneven, but not so pronounced.