Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much to give? part-time BLS with 8.5 month old

Default how much to give? part-time BLS with 8.5 month old

I work during the week, so my baby gets 4 oz bottles during the day with the nanny. I also have her feed him some puree solids for lunch. For dinner, I would offer food BLS style, but he usually does not eat much. For the purees, he is given about 1-2oz only. Is that enough? How much, quantity-wise, should he be getting?

I am afraid to give him too much because I do not want to lose my milk supply. After this past long weekend (where I EBF), my pumping during the work day has dropped a bit. I wonder if he is cutting back on BM...

Default Re: how much to give? part-time BLS with 8.5 month old

Until around the first birthday, breastmilk alone is capable of meeting all of baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So if baby eats hardly any solids, it's not a problem. In fact, solids are more of a problem when baby eats so much of them that it cuts into his breastmilk intake.

To me, it sounds like you're doing things just right for 8.5 months. By is getting plenty of solids for his age, and I wouldn't offer more. Just keep letting him experiment with BLS!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I also think there is no harm in focusing more on nursing during the weekends when you are together and not worrying too much about the solids on weekends. I see those weekends as my precious opportunity to nurse!

Great advice from the pps. I'd just add that it's fairly common for moms to start to have a drop in *pumping* output (this does not necessarily indicate a drop in your supply) around 9-10 mos. Have you recently started your period? That can cause temporary dips in your supply, though they usually only last a few days. Check your pump parts and make sure nothing needs to be replaced. Maybe add in an extra session here and there if necessary. But I wouldn't worry too much unless you absolutely don't have enough to feed her with. Just make sure you nurse her as much as she wants when you are together and it should keep your supply where it needs to be.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous