Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LAM birth control?

Default LAM birth control?

This is kind of off topic, but I'll ask anyway.

Is it realistic of me to rely on LAM for birth control? My DS is almost 6 weeks old and does nurse at least every 4 hours during the day, but not always every 6 hours at night. I definitely DO NOT want to go on the pill or get an IUD (I had Paraguard after my DD and it was one of the worst decisions of my life!) and we're not sure if we want more kids (but when we do DH is going to get a vasectomy). We say we'll use condoms, but let's be honest, it probably won't happen lol. Also, I know two people right off hand who got pregnant within a few months of delivering their EBF babies.

I used FAM before conceiving DS, and actually used it to help conceive. I know that FAM doesn't work very well without having a period, so that's out for right now.

Basically, what I'd like to know is: Should I assume that my risk of pregnancy is 2%? I would some insight/opinion or experience on this matter! TIA!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: LAM birth control?

For LAM to be effective, you need to meet all the following criteria:
    - Baby is <6 months old
    - Baby is exclusively breastfed (no supplements, no solids, and according to some, no pacifiers or bottles even if they contain pumped milk)
    - Your period has not yet returned
    - Baby never goes >6 hours without nursing (I.e. baby is not STTN)

Since your baby sometimes goes >6 hours at night, I think you have to assume that LAM isn't maximally effective for you. How effective it is... Is something that no-one can put a number on. Is the failure rate for you as an individual, in your individual situation, 2% or 20%? Or whatever?

If condoms don't work for you, how about other barrier methods (diaphragm, cervical cap, sponge, female condom, etc.)?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you absolutely don't want to get pregnant, I would just make sure you use condoms. I know it can be an unwanted interruption in the heat of the moment, but so can two babies.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

double post
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    If you absolutely don't want to get pregnant, I would just make sure you use condoms. I know it can be an unwanted interruption in the heat of the moment, but so can two babies.
    I tried to use FAM and my period had come back, but I got pregnant about 4 months into it. I couldn't rely on the temperature, so was only able to check cervical mucous and ended up having EWCM twice in the same month. I got pregnant a day before I expected my period, I think.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months