Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long to continue with stress

Default how long to continue with stress

Hey I am proud to have made it 12 months. I'm recently feeling ppd and on zoloft. DH says I need to not be on any meds while bf. On zoloft but don't think its working anyway doc appointment next week.not sure my question mostly looking for support. I don't know what to do now. If I need to be on meds then should we wean? I may nerd to switch to something different. Not sure what to do I feel terrible that my lo has to have such a upset mom its not fair to baby or me to for any of my options. So stress affecting poor baby or on meds and continue to bf or wran before baby or I am ready? Mil thinks crazy I still bf but she's still a lil baby at a year ya know? Sorry so sad.

Default Re: how long to continue with stress

Hi mama, sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I suggest you call InfantRisk: http://www.infantrisk.com/. Another resource is MotherRisk: http://www.motherisk.org/women/contactUs.jsp. They can give you information tailored to your situation (1 year old baby, etc) about zoloft and other alternatives. Being a healthy mom for your baby is important, and there are many medications that are safe to take when breastfeeding. I don't know about zoloft in particular but there are resources out there that can help figure that out. It's important to talk to someone knowledgeable, however, as there are many healthcare providers who don't know much about medication safety in breastfeeding and may counsel weaning when it's not really necessary. Yes your little one is still a baby at a year and there are many benefits to continuing breastfeeding beyond a year!

Bfwmomof3 thank you for those resources. I truly appreciate and will use to verify the rx from my doctor. My doctor also bf her baby so knows it is important and that really helps. I just doubt it when hubby shows concerns so doublr checking safe for the baby maybe needed. I worry a lot that stress cortisol will affect her or anything i may need to take.Thank you thank you for that because I want only to provide the best nutrition and immune support to my growing lo through this too.

Many antidepressants are safe to take while breastfeeding. Its also common to need some trial and error with different kinds and doses before you find the right fit. I changed types three times, starting with zoloft and settling on paxil, I believe. One made it worse and one gave me an odd false cheeriness. Another thing that helped tremendously was counseling. I found an amazing therapist (bfed 4 kids) through my insurance company. She was very considerate of the circumstances and didn't charge me any thing, just insurance. If you don't have insurance, ask about sliding fees. Some other ideas: good nutrition-the healthier I eat and less processed foods help stabilize my moods, exercise-a walk with baby or quick couple crunches while playing on the floor, sunlight-some natural vit d and fresh air work wonders.
    I totally agree that 1 year is still a baby. And if you continue on until she's a toddler or preschooler, good for you! I'm still nursing my 2 yo ds with no plans to stop. There are a hundred amazing reasons not to wean until you and baby feel ready. Check out the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler if you like (have time to) read. How is your relationship with mil? Could you sit down and have a frank discussion about the benefits of toddler nursing? Dh put his foot down with his parents and simply said it is my decision, end of story. Would yours do something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    Many antidepressants are safe to take while breastfeeding. Its also common to need some trial and error with different kinds and doses before you find the right fit. I changed types three times, starting with zoloft and settling on paxil, I believe. One made it worse and one gave me an odd false cheeriness. Another thing that helped tremendously was counseling. I found an amazing therapist (bfed 4 kids) through my insurance company. She was very considerate of the circumstances and didn't charge me any thing, just insurance. If you don't have insurance, ask about sliding fees. Some other ideas: good nutrition-the healthier I eat and less processed foods help stabilize my moods, exercise-a walk with baby or quick couple crunches while playing on the floor, sunlight-some natural vit d and fresh air work wonders.
    I totally agree that 1 year is still a baby. And if you continue on until she's a toddler or preschooler, good for you! I'm still nursing my 2 yo ds with no plans to stop. There are a hundred amazing reasons not to wean until you and baby feel ready. Check out the book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler if you like (have time to) read. How is your relationship with mil? Could you sit down and have a frank discussion about the benefits of toddler nursing? Dh put his foot down with his parents and simply said it is my decision, end of story. Would yours do something similar?
    Therapy has made a HUGE difference in my life since having a baby, too. I thought it would be unaffordable for me but my insurance covers most of my therapist's fee and I negotiated with her that I pay only $10 per session as co-insurance. When I have brought up concerns about the expense, she has said that she will always work with me; she doesn't want my inability to pay to keep me from being in therapy. I have also taken antidepressants (including Zoloft) in the past and when I was very seriously depressed, they REALLY helped me (may have saved my life). Later, when I suffered from some anxiety and sadness around some majorly stressful life events, I went back on Zoloft--it had helped me so much before, after all--and it did not really help me then. I have read that there is some research out that indicates that SSRI antidepressants are effective for major depression but not so effective for more minor forms. Which was basically my experience. Exercise and eating right have also helped me tremendously recently... those things wouldn't have made a dent in my major depressive episode, but they help me a lot with my mood now.

I'm not saying don't take antidepressants, or that you should or shouldn't do therapy or that you should do this or that. I just wanted to relate my experience. The conclusion that I've come to is that there are lots of ways to treat stress, anxiety, depression, PPD, etc. and different approaches work for different people and different approaches might work for different situations or times in your life. Some drugs work better than other drugs for some people and different ones for others. And some talk therapy approaches work better for other people and different ones for others. The point is that you might have to try lots of different things before you find what works for you, and it is worth it to keep working at figuring out what is going to help you feel better. Totally worth it. You deserve to feel good!

Reading this post definitely just made me feel like I'm not alone in this. Before getting pregnant I was on an anti-depressant for anxiety/anxiety attacks (Cymbalta) and for tension/stress headaches (Amytriptyline). My PCP took me off these immediately once we determined that I was indeed pregnant. I did good with my symptoms while pregnant (unless the pregnancy hormones disguised my stress induced anixety). Things weren't so bad for the first 6 months after DD was born other than so sleep deprived new mother related stress. I think my symptoms started back up when I started my college classes again when DD was about 6 months. I've been dealing with a lot of work related stress, stress about my classes (because I'm struggling to juggle everything and don't ever get much studying time), and stress regarding household responsibilities that I don't seem to get enough time for. My headaches are coming back almost full force now. Lately I have been contimplating going back on my meds because I have noticed that I get impatient easier than before and irritated a lot more. The only reasons I haven't go ahead with it are because of nursing still and I also noticed that my meds must have been surpressing my emotions before. After being off them I noticed that I laughed more and harder now, I actually cried when something made me sad, and I was genuienly happy, not just the 'I know I'm happy but I don't really feel happy' like before. I never noticed that I lacked these emotions until stopping my meds. I don't really want to go back on them because of all this but I also don't want to feel so stressed out and have headaches almost every day. I was thinking about waiting until September to make a decision after I obtain my degree and maybe won't feel so stressed.

Sorry nrnmom, I didn't mean to take over your thread but this just seemed the perfect place to share my current situation too. I'm just not sure how to go about this. I also have been dealing with this on my own and trying to put it off because I didn't want to have to wean my DD because of going on meds but from what I'm reading in this thread there are medications that are safe while nursing. I still think I would be nervous doing so. Maybe that's just me and my anxiety though. I also just want to do what's best for my DD and feel good and happy.
    ~Chrissy~

First time mother to Avery Grace 7/17/2012