Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Calcium intake and mama's weight loss from nursing...

Default Calcium intake and mama's weight loss from nursing...

Hi all,

This is probably too late in asking but how much calcium should we be taking if we are nursing? I don't eat much dairy and often forget to take my calcium pills Also, I've lost a lot of weight while nursing. I've been thinking this is great but other people have shown concern that I look too thin. Should I be concerned? It's been almost a year and AF hasn't returned (this is normal too?). Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: Calcium intake and mama's weight loss from nursing...

Totally normal to lose weight while nursing, and to not have your period back at just 1 year. The average time until return of menstraution in a nursing mom is around 15 months, IIRC, though there's a wide range, with many women getting their fertility back sooner 15 months and plenty after, as well.

I don't know how much calcium you're "supposed" to get, but I do know that taking a prenatal vitamin while nursing is recommended. That one-stop approach is usually easier than trying to get all your vitamins straight individually.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here's lots of info about calcium and breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/calcium/#bf

I'm always at my thinnest when nursing (after losing the pregnancy weight, of course). I think what's important is, are you eating a healthy diet? If you're eating a well-balanced diet and an appropriate number of calories, I think that's more important than the weight.

Breastfeeding is also keeping me at a lower weight. Some people remark on it (my mom and mother-in-law especially like to say I look "too thin" but I think it's just the Jewish Mother coming out). But I try to look at the health of it, not the number on the scale: am I eating healthy food, am I getting a generous calorie intake to support the demands of nursing, and is my weight still within the normal range for my BMI? That last one is usually a very effective argument against the naysayers ("For my height, I am within the healthy range for my BMI, and am not underweight") ... IMO, our cultural expectations of "normal" weight have been warped by the overweight/obesity epidemic -- layered on top of some perhaps generational differences and expectations about how much "meat on your bones" a woman should have -- and many people see the low end of normal as "too thin" when in fact you could still be at a healthy weight.

thank you for you responses. this is a relief (and great reminder to eat healthier!). thanks all.